Tea Party for 5 Year Old

I would like to have a tea prty for my daughter's 5th birthday in August. I wanted to invite her girlfriends to come dressed in their favorite dress-up clothes or pretty dresses and to bring a favorite doll/stuffed animal. But what kind of food and drink do you serve? Has anyone done a party like this for girls this age? What about games or easy projects? I don't want to spend a fortune and go somewhere that it is hosted. I prefer to have the party at home. I have checked some party websites, but they seem to be geared toward older girls. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have them decorate their own cupcakes - frost and sprinkle them. Serve those on cute little plates with lemonade in tea cups. You could string beads on string to make necklaces and bracelets for a craft and then they could wear them. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have tons of cute little kits for those type things.

I did this for my girls a few years ago and we had punch and cookies and I got beads and pins and let them make friendship pins to trade with each other.

I would serve apple juice. It looks the most like tea so it would seem more realistic. You could do any type of little sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese and just cut it into cute shapes and put some fruit on their plates. For games you could do musical chairs or make a ball toss with tea cups and ping pong balls. Or have them decorate hats to wear at the tea party. I make custom cupcakes if you want to add those to your party. www.crumbscustomcupcakes.com

Hi D.,

Go to www.makingfriends.com. This website is geared toward girlscout activities, but it has really neat crafts for all ages. You can order projects from them, but I just look at the supply list and go to Walmart to purchase them.

If you want to do a bead project, just make your own pre-packaged project by using ziplock bags. It makes it so much easier to hand out supplies and the girls have the bag to take their projects home in.

This sounds like so much fun! Let us know how it turns out!

I agree that any sandwich can be made into small finger sandwiches. Also do maybe veggies and dip or mini quiches and instead of a big cake you could do little petit fours or mini cupckaes. I would serve tea, but have other options available for sure, young palettes (sp?) might not like the taste! ;)

As far as games, the hat idea was great! You can usually get pretty cheap hats at US Toy and buy some cheap flowers and other decor at Hobby Lobby. Also making puzzles is kind of fun for that age. You can buy blank ones and they can color them. You could have stencils and templates (homemade: I use tag board or pieces of manilla folder so they hold up) so that they could make tea party themed puzzles is they wish and get little cellophane or cloth bags to keep the pieces in. Also, most "party" games can probably be adapted to her theme. For instance you can do the egg race with a tea spoon or you could have a contest to see who can make the highest stack of sugar cubes, you could play musical chairs but only sing (or play) the I'm a little teapot song..you get the idea! Finally, if they're all dressed up, you could think about doing a fashion show too. Make a runway and a curtain, they'd get a kick out of it and it would probably take up quite a bit of time!

Have fun, this is a great party idea and everyone (at least I do!) loves a theme! ;)

I did the same for my daughters 5th birthday.
I took a picture of each girl at the door with a wand and crown and sent it to them in the Thank you note.
A quick craft is to have pre-cut crowns (used poster board and wrapped with aluminum foil) that they can glue some jewels or foam diamonds. With craft glue they dried in about 30 minutes and they ran around playing in them the rest of the day.
Cookie cutter sandwiches and small cookies were served at the party.
I had a small wedding looking cake for the birthday cake.

Williams Sonoma has a line of cookie cutters that are shaped like dress up/princess. There are clothes shapes, crowns, etc--you can often get these on ebay for much less than at the store. Anyway I think the girls would LOVE decorating their own cookies! Hope you have a great party,

Hi D.,
As for the food, try using the tops of various sized jars to cut out small round sandwiches, like tea cakes..
A fun project/take home gift would be to buy plain hats and let them decorate them, you can't have a tea party with out fancy hats!!

I am not giving any suggestions here, you seem to have some great ideas..All I want to say is you have given ME an idea for my OWN birthday, which is next month. I want a birthday party, but I never have enough cash and no one has ever stepped up to the plate to give me one. I really would like to have a surprise party (someday), I've given everyone in my family a surprise party before.
But I'm a big kid at heart, and I LOVE playing games, which a lot of times, adults are fuddy-duddies; So I'm thinking I will throw myself a b-day bash and I have kids and nieces and a few friends who can come and help me to celebrate. We'll play some games (Bingo with prizes!, Guesstures, Taboo,) and I'll get a neat cake...all for ME!!! SO thanks for the idea, hope your daughter's party is as fun as mine is gonna be!! (I'll be 44)

1 / 3