11 answers

TAXES..claiming Dependents

My boyfriend and I live together. We have a 13 mo old, my 11yr old from a previous relationship and I'm a stay-at-home Mom. My 11yr old's father cannot claim her because he's way behind on child support. My question is: can my boyfriend claim all 3 of us as dependents on his taxes even if we're not married? We do all live together all year round.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Called the IRS and turns that you have to go through a series of questions to determine whether you you are a qualifying relative. If so he can in fact claim one or both as dependents..

Featured Answers

He can claim you and both children if he provided more than half of the support for you and the children. You must have also lived in the same household for at least half the year. For more info go to www.irs.gov.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers

Hi W.,

The fact that your husband is behind on child support is NOT why he can't claim her. The two have NOTHING to do with each other. Dependency is claimed by who the child lives with more days OR is specified in the custodial document.

I believe in order to claim children who are not biologically yours, you (well, in this case your boyfriend) will have to file as "head of household". However, not everyone who wants to claim this can.... so he needs to check with a tax attorney (or someone like H&R block - or just call the IRS directly and ask).

Here is the link that will give you info on 'qualifying dependent'.

The bottom line is that this is not a cut and dry issue - so I would get some advice from a qualified tax professional - the laws changed in 2004 - so don't rely on someone else's info that may get you audited, have to pay fines & penalty or worse... get in trouble for fraudulent claims on your tax returns.

Good Luck!

3 moms found this helpful

He can claim you and both children if he provided more than half of the support for you and the children. You must have also lived in the same household for at least half the year. For more info go to www.irs.gov.

1 mom found this helpful

No, his is not legally the head of the household. You can claim your own biological children but he cannot claim unrelated children.

By the way, your ex can file taxes, he just won't get a refund, you'll get every penny of it. If he is married his spouse can file injured spouse and be able to keep the portion she paid in but he will not get anything as far as a refund goes.

1 mom found this helpful

How do you know the 11yo's father can not claim his daughter. Child support has absolutely nothing to do with claiming a dependent.

No, your boyfriend can not claim you and your child as a dependent. He can, however, file as Head of Household. See the instructions for form 1040.

1 mom found this helpful

Yes...as one other poster wrote there is a time test and I believe that he can file as head of household and claim you all as dependents so long as he provided at least 50% percent of your living expenses/support. This would be worth a consultation with a CPA to ensure you have all the information and proof that is needed.

You don't have to be related or married to be claimed as a dependent.

1 mom found this helpful

Yes, he can claim you and both children as head of household if he provided at least half of support needed to live in that house and your ex isn't claiming your older daughter. I'm guessing the agreement with your ex is the same as mine and if he is even a $1 behind as of December 31st, then I get to claim my son (he gets our son every year and I get our daughter every year). If you take turns claiming your daughter, then the years you claim her, he can take

If somone lives with you for more than half the year and you provide their support, you may claim them on your taxes as long as no other eligible person claims them. It doesn't matter who the person is, they could be the man on the moon and if you could claim them as long as nobody else is eligible to. If someone else is also able to claim them, you just have to agree who claims that person that year.

1 mom found this helpful

I believe your child would have to be biologically related, married, legal guardian or adopted for him to claim your child and yourself. Only you or bio daddy can claim your daughter until you legally take action. The only person he can claim is your child together.

The rules for dependents are below. If you and your 11 year-old made less than $3650.00 each and he provided more than 50% of the money to support you for at least 6 months and 1 day he can claim all of you.

In order to qualify as your dependent, a person must be your qualifying child or qualifying relative. In order to meet the qualifying child test, the child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sister, brother, half-brother, half-sister or a descendant of one of these persons; under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year (or 24 if a full-time student); must have lived with you for six months plus one day; must not have provided more than half her own support; and must not be filing a joint return. In order to meet the qualifying relative test, a person must not be your qualifying child but must live with you, have earned less than $3,650 during the tax year and have provided less than half his own support.

Read more: IRS Dependent Information | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_###-###-####_irs-dependent-info...

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.