Target Formula

Hello all, can anyone tell me if they buy the target brand formula? My baby boy is consuming alot more than he used to and the formula is so expensive. I compared the ingredients w/the one I use to Target's and found them to be the same. I have also heard that alot of times the store or generic brands are really made by the bigger companies, just under a different name. If I can spend half the money that I usually do on formula, especially now that he is going through it faster, than I would really like to. Thanks!

Thanks everyone, after doing much online research for myself, I decided to go ahead and try to use the generic formula. Its supposedly the same but at 1/2 the cost ! I don't know about you, but I don't have the extra money to toss away if it isn't necessary : )

I don't know why but when my daughter was an infant that was the only formula she could tolerate. It was less expensive then the other ones I could have used, I bought the powder to save money. I don't know why it worked so well and tried it out of desperation.

Kim

I used Target Brand Formula which I found was comparable to Enfamil. I asked my dr. and she said Target, Costco, etc. were okay. My daughter has been off formula for a while now, and was fine. I did switch to Soy early on because she was spitting up a lot.

All infant formula has certain requirements that it must meet. Any formula must meet nutritional requirements from the FDA. Here is a link to their site
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/inf-toc.html

I can't answer for Target formula, but we used the WalMart (Parent's Choice) formula for both of our kids. We started with the more expensive brands with the first and then realized that it was getting very costly, especially when he started eating more. I researched "store brand formula" on BabyCenter.com and also talked with our pediatrician at Bassett Healthcare. She told us that store brands are just as good as name brand, that sometimes they may contain more nutrients (look at the labels), and they are made by the larger companies. They can sell it for a lot less b/c they aren't spending all that money on advertising. It's not really any different from using generic medications or other store brand items. My kids are now 5 & 3 and they have grown well and been very healthy. Hope this helps you.

I need to respond to the woman who watered down her daughters formula. Please don't do this!!!. Too much water can be toxic to infants. Also giving a child cereal at 2-3 weeks old is not only unsafe, but unnecessary. The calories in formula or breastmilk is more than enough to sustain a baby of that age. Their immature digestive systems are no where near ready to handle cereal. I'm sorry if I sound over the top, but this topic drives me CRAZY!!!!!!

I have heard that Target formula AND Target diapers are both great! I've also heard that Adli grocery stores are a great way to save money on food if you have one near you. Of course Walmart is cheap but they do bad business with China and treat women and maybe even children horribly so we try to stay away from Walmart!

Hi J.-

I did not use the Target brand, But I did use the Wal*Mart's Parents Choice...My Dr said they were all pretty much the same at a discounted price. My daughter did not even know the differnce when we switched from the Enfamil LIPIL to the Parents Choice LIPIL and she was fine with the so called "store Brand" hope this helps you out a bit!

i word talk to your pediatrician first.

I used the Sam's brand and the Target brand for my twins. Our pediatrician was the one who told us that all of the brands are now under FDA supervision so that they all basically are the same. The biggest difference you will find is with the texture. Both of my kids had no problems with the Target or the Sam's brand and it saved us a fortune. Hope this helps.

I have used several different brands of the same formula for my youngest son. I used Target, P&C, Walmart, and Enfamil. As long as they have all the same nutrition values as the one you have been using then your son shouldn't have a problem. One thing though, make sure you double check if you are getting lacto free or regular or whatever he's drinking. I made the mistake once of getting the Lacto free because the cans are more like in the cheaper brands. If you have a P&C near you-you might consider their brand. Their Lipil milk based is exactly like Enfamil Lipil. The big can is bigger then other store brands, and it's about $17 which comes out cheaper.

**edit** After reading one of your comments I had to add something. Please, please do not water down your baby's formula as someone recommended. If your baby is hungry give him more formula, and there is no need to start him on cereal already unless you are ready, and you think he will eat from a spoon. Fat babies are perfectly fine! When they start crawling and walking they lose the weight anyway. I just can't imagine someone watering down baby formula!

Both my girls were big when they were born and by 2 or 3 weeks they were drinking over 32oz a day and the Dr said that I could start giving them cereal. It helped a lot.

1 / 3