Talking to a Child About Appropriate and Inappropriate Touching

Hi Moms,

I have a newly 3 year old son, and when we went to his 3 year doctors appointment, the doctor told him as he was checking his private areas that he is only allowed to do this because Mommy was in the room. I realized, "Wow... it really is time to talk to my son about that" I should have taken the opportunity to talk to the doctor about age appropriate discussions, but was distracted by my 2 month old, and forgot. What are some ways that you have discussed the issue with your 3 year olds in ways they would understand without freaking them out? So far, I have "No one can touch you under your underware unless Mommy or Daddy are in the room" - but then, if he is at Preschool and has an accident (we are potty training now), the Preschool teacher has permission to change his underware (with another adult present) - or if he is with Grandma, and has an accident, she can change his underware... so you see, there are all these exceptions... do I just wait until his is potty trained and not having accidents to talk to him about this? I'm going to call our Pediatrician too, but figured I'd ask what has worked here too...

It doesn't cover all situations, but I told my sons that if anyone touches them, and tells them not to tell Mommy or Daddy, to come strait to Mommy and Daddy. That if the person says we will be mad at him, it is a lie, and we need to know.

i was abused as a small child by my grandfather from about three to 7 and my mom thought that this could never happen he abused me and my two sisters...with this in mind i have raised my children and two step daughters to the fact no one is to touch them if it makes them uncomfortable mommies,daddies, teachers or grandparents...because of the fact kids are easily manipulated into thinking that this person is a trusted person so it must be okay he or she is touching me...i never said anything to my mom until i was 24 and had two of my own kids, it broke her heart because my grandfather had done the same thing to her (i didn't know about it cause she never spoke about it)from the time she was 6 until she ran away at 12...over the years she said she had convinced herself it was her fault because she was daddies little angel and he would never do anything to hurt her...and to see the angwish in her face was aweful she kept telling me how sorry she was if she had known this he would of been aloud arround us...remember most times children are molested by someone who is close to them and you trust or they trust... it could be anyone from a father to a grandma or a close family friend...find away that you can speak to them on his level so that you don't scare him but prepare him for the unexpected...and always listen to your children and even though this may sound weird check them after prolonged visits with others when you aren't present or once aweek after he comes home from preschool...like i said a child molestor can be anyone...good luck hope this helps and don't sound parinoid...ps don't mind my terrible spelling...

I read through all of the responses you've gotten so far and what JM said is perfect. I have never been abused nor my kids but we have a close relative who is an abuser (and only a teenager). My husband and I were lucky enough to know about it and learn what to do and say to our kids before it was too late.

We have been talking to them since they were your childs age. We started with the basics and as they get older you continue to remind them and add more information as they need it. But don't say "strangers" because 90% of the abusers are close family members or friends.

I am probably an extra paranoid mom but I have always made sure not to make my children that way. I probably talk to them every few months just to remind them and like another person said when they go into a new situation continue to reiterate what you've taught them.

I have a 4 year old boy and we talk about this every few months, just to make sure he still knows. What I have told him is that the doctor has to look at and sometimes touch to make sure he is healthy, and that other adults (mommy, daddy, grandma, etc) should only touch his "privates" if he has an owie there or to clean him up (though once potty trained, this hasn't been an issue). I like the doctor's addition of "only when mommy's in the room" and may use this too! I also talk about this at natural times, such as when we are getting him dressed in the morning and he is very aware of his parts. We also talk about what to do if someone wants to touch his privates and who to tell if that happens. Good luck!

It is a sad, sad world we live in, that anyone would even consider hurting children, much less do it, and that no age is safe from people who would hurt them.

Taking into account that there are those who would do such a horrible thing, you do have to think about it and try and make them understand the danger the best that you can and that they can understand.

I'm not sure how well your son understands things at such a young age, but looking up some books at the library and reading through them may help you, or your doctor may be able to refer some publications, and may even have some in the office.

I don't have any book recommendations, but I looked up this article on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website: http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServle...

With my children, I always tell them if anyone touches them in a way that makes them feel bad, ashamed, scared, or embarassed, no matter who it is or what they say, to never EVER be afraid to tell us(their dad or I). I didn't allow my son to go into a restroom alone until he was oh, around 8, when he became embarassed to use the ladies room. I told him then that if any man besides his dad ever talked to him to leave IMMEDIATELY!, and if one touched him, to scream at him to leave him alone, and get away as fast as possible. I also waited outside the men's room(and I set a time limit), or his dad went with him, until he was 12.

Calmly, and as simply as you can, in language he can understand, teach him about "good" touches--hugs are nice, pats on the back are nice, holding hands when crossing the street or in a crowded place are for safety, and help with changing clothes after an accident is helpful, but touches and words that make him feel scared or hurt, or afraid are something he should never keep secret. And really, it was perfectly fine for you to tell him no one should touch him under his underwear but you or his dad--the NCMEC website listed warning children about touching the areas a bathing suit would cover. At his age, if he needs to be cleaned in private areas during accidents, he can probably manage this himself with a wipe, after some coaching from you. If he has a number 2 accident, *then* help with that(from an adult *you* trust!) would be acceptable.

Again, be calm, factual, and use words he can understand.

Best of luck to you. It's a shame that we as parents have to even *think* about this, much less do it, but the kids need to know it's out there, and that we will help them.

Hope I helped some,

K. W

There is a simple book a child can understand that illustrates "good" and "bad" touch, we used it with our kids. You can probably check it out at your local library.
"It's my body" by Lory Freeman ; illustrations, Carol Deach.
Publisher Seattle, Wash. : Parenting Press, c1982.

You might tell him this is his own space and he has control over it. There is no need to touch there except for baths, potty, and to keep owies away. If he has an accident and needs help he can get it but he needs to ask. Teaching him how to use flushable wipes and put on his own underwear will help alot. You will have some adjustment period here where he may need a bath when he gets home but is should only last a few weeks.

I would recomend Gavin de Beckers book "Protecting the Gift".
It covers stranger danger and how to teach your kids not to become a victim. It also goes into how to trust your kids (and your own) instincts. Most abductions and molestations are from someone the kids know.

I'd recommend the book Protecting the Gift.

1 / 3