Talk Too Much in School. WHAT CAN I DO?????????

My son is in 1st grade and already his teacher want to talk with me. I already know what the problem is, "He talk in class and not listening to the teacher". He have that problem in Kindergarten also. I remind him everyday to not talk in class and listen to the teacher. I try time out, take his favor toys away, no TV, but nothing work. WHAT CAN I DO??????? I need advice, lot of advice.

Ditto... I wouldn't punish him either. It's happening in class, it needs to be DEALT with in class. Staying quiet and listening is a learned skill. And it's one that needs to be taught IN the environment that it's used in.

Another thing to consider: When my son was in school we made a deal... He would NOT get in trouble twice. Period. That way he could feel free to talk with me about *anything* that happened, have a shoulder to cry on, or an ear to bend, or be able to ask for advice without being afraid of being punished for something that he'd already been punished for. We called it Double Jeopardy. Once my son got that I was serious about not getting him in trouble twice, he REALLY started to share/confide with me. It was SO soooo useful.

I had this problem in 1st grade too! My parents and teacher came up with a little thing that I had to do if I was talking. Everyday, my teacher would put a piece of tape on my desk and everytime I talked when I wasn't supposed to, she would ask me to put a mark on the tape. I had to take the tape home at the end of the day to show my parents...I didn't want any marks on that tape, so eventually, we didn't have to do it anymore! It worked for me...

It is hard to discipline hours after the problem. Have him practice being quiet with you at the library, movies, church. or... Make sure he learns NEVER to interrupt adults (in school we raise quiet hands, other places we say excuse me and then wait quietly for our turn to talk) He should have learned this in already, if you're sure what the problem is than this is obviously a problem at home. Play games with him and he can practice waiting for his turn and listening to directions.
Ask questions when you meet the teacher, don't assume you know exactly what she'll say. Are there other problems, is he immature, can he take turns or is he always impulsive? For instance does he grab things before they are passed out? Does he just chatter with friends or does he call out the answers to questions. does he call out wrong answers without thinking it thru or only call out when he really knows the answer? Does it seem like he isn't listening but then he knows what she said? Does he do better one on one. Don't feel foolish taking a list of questions to a conference and taking notes, it will be more productive and the teacher will appreciate how seriously you're taking the problem. Good luck.
Try getting up 10 minutes earlier to have more time to let him talk in the morning? Maybe 10 minutes before school where its his turn to talk would help.

I have to kind of laugh at this ...sorry. My daughter was a straight + student in First Grade. Her first report card home a blinding / appeared. It stuck out like a sore thumb. Of course it was for excessive talking. Her dad looked at the report card first and told her to bring it to me to look at (I was sick in bed w/ the flu) as soon as I saw it I started laughing. I couldn't help it. That was me when I was her age. I was in trouble all of the time for talking. My teachers would put me next to boys..didn't matter I would talk. I always had something to say to someone. I had lots of friends! lol The biggest thing is that he needs to understand that he cannot talk when the teacher is talking. He also needs to understand when HE CAN talk. You & his teacher need to tell him the times that's it's okay to talk. If he is a talker, he will never be able to be quiet all day long. Telling a talker that they need to stop talking is not the answer. He needs his time to talk...hopefully the teacher will understand this and let him have a minute to get whatever it is that he needs to say out of his system. You can help out by letting him talk your ear off when he gets home from school but then giving him times when he has to be quiet (like while he is eating dinner/breakfast). Most classrooms by 1st grade have a behavior system in place. If his teacher does not, it might be a good time for her to start. He should only get 2 chances to be quiet and then the 3rd time he talks when he is not suppose to, there needs to be a consequence. Same thing goes at home. Bottom line is he needs to talk if he is a talker, he just needs to understand that there is a time when it's okay and a time when it's not okay. A general do not talk in class is not going to work. You need to be more specific. :) Good luck!

The teacher has to figure that out... She has to make sure that he is in a good spot in the classroom - even if it is right next to her desk. She needs to place him in a spot where he can't talk to his friends, but still feels like part of the class.
Many kids can't talk if you make them sit on their hands... It's a funny thing, but it often works. I've had chatty kids in my class and have told them to sit on their hand (the one they don't write with) and to be quiet. Somehow it seems to work - especially if they have to write as well. It takes a lot of concentration...
YMMV
LBC

My daughter just started 4th grade and we've had the same problem every year! i'm hoping she'll be more mature this year and grow out of it but it seems like some kids are just little social butterfies! i've taken privileges away also and sometimes it works at first but then it doesn't. Try explaining that there is a time and a place for socializing and playing, which is at recess. In the classroom it's time for listening and paying attention. I take away my daughter's mp3 player because i know it's something she'll really miss. If toys and TV aren't working try something else he really loves. Maybe a dessert or favorite candy? Or instead of focusing on the negative consequences try making it positive: if he behaves in school for the week you'll take him for ice cream, or he can pick out a favorite (inexpensive) toy.
I know some parents might say you shoudn't have to reward good behavior all the time, but when you're at your wit's end, you'll do what works! I wish i had the solution, but that's about the only advice i can give. Hope this helps, good luck!

You need to tell him that if he does not stop talking in class that you will make arrangements with his teacher so YOU can come in and sit in class with him to see how he acts.... better yet just show up to his classroom. He's not gonna want his friends to see his mom in class with him.

I'm taking a shot in the dark since I have no experience in this (besides me being a talker and getting in trouble many times in school) but have you tried role playing? Or even calling him on it if he interrupts you while you are talking? I wish i could give you some advice since my talkativeness is an issue for me at 34. If I have a caffeinated beverage people will literally cancel outings with me because I talk THAT much! It's nothing I can control even though I try SO hard.
Best of luck,

1 / 3