Taking Toddler to the Beach

My fiance and I are going to the beach, just for the day. It's supposed to be hot, my concern is if we should take our two year old with us. The only reason I'm having seconds thoughts is because she gets really red in the face after being outside for 10 minutes and we'll be at the beach all day. I want to take her so she can enjoy her first time at the beach, but Im just concerned with how red in the face she gets.

What should we do?

Thanks for all the great advice! :)
I've got a list of things that I'll need already and we'll definitely have/rent an umbrella. I've even made sure she has water shoes.

But from the looks of it with the weather we won't be able to go this weekend.

We're just back from a beach vacation and here is what we did: have kiddo in UV protective wear so you only have to put sunscreen on legs and arms (and face). Have something that gives you shade (big umbrella, beach shelter thingy... whatever works for you). Bring a BIG bucket and squirties.
My daughter spend most of the day at the beach playing in the sand with a bucket of water. To keep her cool I regularly wet her bathing suit, she dipped her feet in the water and I had her stay in the shade. It was between 95 and 100 degrees every day and lots of fun!
Please know that even if they stay under the umbrella sunscreen on all of their exposed skin AND a hat. You can wet down their hat and clothes and the evaporation will help keep them cooler. Also lots of liquids to keep hydrated.
Have fun!

We just took my 2 year old son to a hotel with a water-park a couple weekends ago. It was 106 that day! My son is the same as your daughter, and I asked a similar question :) Here is what we did:

- Hydrated him a lot the day before.
- Brought plenty of cold drinks, fruit, other healthy snacks
-Put sunscreen on him 30 minutes BEFORE we were in the sun
-Reapplied sunscreen every hour (remember the lips!)
-Took breaks for a snack and drink when he looked more red in the face
-Found shade wherever we could!

He had SO much fun!! We were there from morning to evening and he did great. No sunburn and no dehydration, but he sure did sleep well that night!

Take a beach umbrella that's big enough for her to get under and play in the shade. Some people even bring little baby pools they fill with ocean water, but I've never done that. I have a two and five year old, and we go to the beach and to lake beaches a lot! Take a big, well-iced cooler with lots of water and kid drinks she likes and don't limit them ( we love the capri sun water splash drinks). Also take chilled fruits she likes such as melon cubes or grapes. My oldest has always loved olives and they replenish all the salt sweated out! And of course-a sun hat and lots of fun time in the water! Take her stroller down for naptime and keep ot under the umbrella so it doesn't get too hot. Have fun! Toddlers and the beach are fantastic!

She should NOT be in the sun the whole day.
Sunscreen sure. But even if in the sun, you can get sun burned.
And especially if ALL day out.
You need a beach tent or something, or umbrella for shade.
Not to mention, dehydration too.

As you see, your child per her skin, gets sunburned with only 10 minutes of sun.

Sun damage, occurs, even with that.
And sun damage, is cumulative. Over time.

I would not have her at the beach/in the sun, the whole day.
Just a little while.

Or get a 'rash guard' or sun tops, for her.
But this is only for the body, per sun protection.
Not the face.

A person's face can ALSO get sunburned, via reflective heat. Via the water or surfaces, it can sunburn the face, even if wearing a hat.
Unless the hat casts a shadow over her entire face.

Also, sun poisoning can occur too.
From too much sun.
This is very unpleasant... and some end up in the ER.
My Dad had that once... from fishing all day.

Have something for Shade.
Then sure, she can be out hanging out all day at the beach.
But if there is NO shade... I would not have her out, all day.

Is it SUN that gets her red, or is it the heat? Have you talked to the ped about this to find out what he or she thinks about it?

I'd really try to figure this out, not just for your beach trip, but for her overall.

Sunscreen, a HUGE hat is essential for fair skin. Make sure she keeps drinking water. Keep having her stay in the shade regularly throughout the day so she doesn't get overheated. Toddlers are quite sensitive to the sun, especially if they're fair. And watch her like a hawk near the water.

Sunblock and a hat (full coverage bucket hat) and an umbrella or canopy for her to sit under

Yes you should go! You already have lots of reasons why listed below but I had to chime in! ;) She will love it and you'll be happy you did it!

Have fun!

1 / 3