Taking Supplements While Breastfeeding

I was wondering if any of you know if it's ok to take supplements while nursing? i've been working out and i really want to get in excellent shape. Anyway, my husband bought me some muscle milk,it's some type of protein shake, its suppose to help burn fat, stimulate muscle synthesis, boost nitrogen balance, and increase oxygen delivery. It says it has micellar proteins, leanlipids, growth peptides, complete caseins, peptides, lactalbumins, and lactoferrin. I wanted to know if this is safe? please only respond if you know facts. thanks :)

I do know that Muscle Milk contains Sucralose, an artificial sweetener that's touted as "perfectly safe" by those trying to sell it. It's the newest one and, because of this, long term effects cannot be known. Just remember that thalidomide was also touted as "perfectly safe" before the massive and tragic side effects were proven.

I don't know that you should trust anyone who claims to "know the facts." There are always completely opposing "facts" to be found on such issues. I, personally, err on the side of safety. I try not to put anything in by body, or my baby, that is at all questionable. Good luck.

Read the label if it says okay to take while breastfeeding then it is okay. If it say ask the doctor than ask him. When I breastfeed I was unable to take anything of the sort. My doctor told me any type of supplement even most vitamins could be harmful. I was only to take my prenatal vitamin and that was it... It is usually not worth the risk.

My advice is to get the product information and take it with you to your next pediatrian appointment. I too am breastfeeding and drink protein shakes and fiber shakes. But they are vegan - and the product is herbally and botanically based. Even with the product I use I've checked with my doctor. Hope this is sort of helpful to you.

*Always* check with your MD before you take supplements of any kind while breast feeding.

I wouldn't bother with it at any time, and would certainly hesitate to use it while nursing. Boost nitrogen balance? WT Heck does that mean? How do you boost a balance? Since he bought it, let your DH use it and work out with you! ;)

Sorry if I sound cranky right now, but it doesn't sound like a useful product to me.

I'm an MD and would strongly recommend not taking any supplements while breastfeeding. These are not always harmful necessarily, but they are non FDA-regulated and are not required to list all their ingredients or side effects. They can also claim anything they want and do not have to back it up with data. For many of these supplements, the effects are not well known because they have not been studied rigorously. Many people assume that anything touted as "natural" or "herbal" cannot be harmful. This is not the case. I always tell my patients, "all herbs are drugs" - because anything you put in your body acts as a drug of some sort (conversely many "drugs" are herbs; examples include penicillin and digitalis). The benefit you might get from this supplement is questionable at best and is not worth a risk to your baby's health.

My advice about supplements is to research and purchase a supplement not made in the USA. For example, some supplements are regulated in Canada. If a particular supplement is manufactured in canada it may be regulated depending on the supplement’s function, ingredients, and whether a claim is made. Buyer beware though because certain products are not licensed and those non licensed products are not subject to the same strict manufacturing and labeling requirements as licensed medicines.

Hello Sephanie.
I have a 7 month old that I'm nursing and I use Muscle Milk as a meal replacement. I was concerned about supplements so I asked my obgyn and he said as long as I was taking my prenatal vitamin along with the protein it would be fine. If you're still nervous about using Muscle Milk because of the additional amino acids and proteins try pure whey protein. It also assists in muscle building.

Hope that helps a bit.

Honestly, I'd stick to the prenatal vits. Now is not the time to try losing wieght. You need it to make milk for your baby. Once you stop nursing, go for it, but I'd play it safe while nursing.

1 / 3