Taking One Year Old to Professional Basketball Game

We have the opportunity to go to a professional game. Great seats! We love BBall. My issue is our son. He goes to bed no later than 8. We don't have anyone to watch him, so we will have to take him with us. It has just been within the past two weeks that I got him on a schedule and he is sleepig through the night. Do I dare disrupt his sleep so that we can go to this game? I am torn. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ladies - thank you so much for your responses. I am sitting here with my DH watching the MAVS game at home. We decided not to go. I just could not mess with his schedule, and you all had great points about the noise and how we may disruptive to others -- I really had not thought about that. I guess it's obvious that I am a first time mom. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to go again, and will have a babysitter.

I wouldn't worry so much about the schedule but I have to admit, I'd never have taken a one year old to that kind of event because I would not have enjoyed myself. My kids wouldn't have sat in a seat or a lap at that age, they'd have wanted to run all over the place and I'd have been chasing rather than watching the game.

You've gotten some great answers. I would have to agree with the majority and say no. You will not have the same experience with him there, it will be too loud for him, and that schedule is precious. I always hated even the day light savings time change. You will pay for that disruption for days. I'd make a second attempt to find a sitter. Maybe a neighbor or someone you could ask a favor of.

Honestly, that sounds like a nightmare. I have never tried that, but can tell you that I would be the one having to clean up after him, take him out if there was a "fit", change diapers, etc...
I would highly recommend finding someone to watch him. There are great nanny services on the "internets". Or maybe you can trade with a friend?
It just doesn't sound like YOU would end up having any fun. Especially with such a cool special event!

Would he have his own seat or would one of you be holding him all night?

I don't think I would take him to the game. Not only would you miss part of the game going for diaper changes, etc. Its tough for a 1 yr old sit still for 2 hours. Also, since they are great seats, and not the nose bleed, the people sitting around you may not be happy with having a toddler around.

Just my 2 cents.

Taking him wouldn't be on the top of my list of faves!

Hope you can figure out an alternative! This might be a time when splurging and spending money on a professional sitter service would be worth it. Afterward, I would start working on finding a source for babysitters!

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

Hi! I know this is going to sound strange, but I'd like to offer babysitting services. While I agree, you should not take him, I don't think one of you should go with a friend while the other stays home. You and your husband deserve to have a night out and the chance to go to a professional BBall game doesn't come along all the time. And with him being on schedule for only 2 weeks, it's risky disrupting that schedule so soon.

I have a responsible 18 year old step-daughter who would be willing to babysit for you. She's great with kids and helps out with my 9, 7, and 2 year old whenever I need her to without complaint, and I know she'd love the extra money. You could even meet her ahead of time, and get to know her before leaving her with your son. We live in Arlington, and it wouldn't be any trouble at all. Please, feel free to email me: ____@____.com if you would like, just put Mommapedia--babysitting in the subject!

Go Mavs~!
We recently took our son to his first 2 games and let me tell you IT WAS A CHORE! I felt like it was more of a babysitting job than a family outing.
I didn't see a minute of the game...I spent the entire time picking up his dropped toys, trying to pry him off the seats next to us, trying to keep him from kicking over the cup (which he ultimately succeeded in!), throwing the popcorn, etc. We wound up on the concourse looking at the airplanes that are hanging up instead of wathching the actual game.
The noise really wasn't a factor, it was keeping him entertained and STILL!

If you have a calm child I would say go for it, but if you've got a rambunctious one skip it - you'll want to leave early & your husband will likely want to stay.

Have a hot date with your man & find a sitter. Trade with someone at work, call the Church & ask if they have any nursery workers that babysit on the side, ask your daycare workers if they sit at night (if you have a daycare), or borrow a friend's sitter - a friend is the most reliable source... you might not know someone but I bet your best friend has someone on speed dial.

Had I to do it again I would most certainly make it an "adults only" couple of evenings. Even though I don't enjoy sports I would have enjoyed the time alone with my husband. It's nice to have a date (especially when the seats are good) every now & then!

- C.

I don't think you'll enjoy the game very much if you take him with you. My son wouldn't have sat nicely on my lap, nor gone to sleep in my arms, in that type of situation at that age. He would have been struggling off my lap and kicking and carrying on trying to get down and run around. I would have been miserable. He would have been miserable. And all the OTHER PEOPLE who paid handsomely for THEIR seats (and possibly paid extra for sitters at home to watch their kids) would also have been miserable. I say, if you can't find someone to watch him, then one of you should stay home with him, and the other should take a friend. At least that way one of you will get to go and enjoy the game. The folks sitting all around those seats of yours will be grateful.

This is a nice family treat/special occasion--break the rule!!
Just put him in his PJ's and brings a blanket, if he still fits in a baby bjorn put him in that and just cover him with a blanket, I am sure he will sleep just fine!
Have fun and enjoy!

Schedules are great but sometimes they do have to be disrupted. Your son is gonna have to learn to adapt sometime so why not do it now. I say go and enjoy yourselves, he'll be no worse for the wear!

1 / 3