Taking off All Clothes to Go to the Potty

Why does my 3yr old daughter feel it is necessary to take off ALL of her clothes when she goes to the potty? She does this regardless of whether she is going poop or even just to pee. We ask her why she does it and she says she doesn't know...

Anyone else experience something similar?

Thanks to all of you who took the time out of your day to respond to my post.

Judging from the general consensus, only time will help her outgrow this. Thanks again!!!

I have 2 beautiful boys that are now 5 and 7. When they were potty training they did the exact same thing. It is a phase and they do grow out of it. My sister has 3 children and only 2 of them did this, but it is vrey common. Don't be alarmed. Good luck!

I don't know why this is but my 7 yr. old did this as a toddler and still takes off all his clothes when he goes poop. I have a couple of friends that their kids (7 & 4 yrs) do the same thing. I don't really have any advice, but atleast you know you are not alone.

My daughter does the same thing. Matter of fact she likes to be that way all day long. She does it because it is some thing she can control. What is the one thing kinds want? Is to have control over what the do. She will grow out of it.

My daughter does the same thing. sometimes she doesn't know why, other times it is so she doesn't get anything on her clothes. Now she only does it when she has on a dress or she poops. Just a phase I think.

My grand-daughter did the same thing! Because she didn't want to dirty her clothes and make Mommy mad. I offered to show her and help, she accepted, and after a week she was good to go! Every once in a while she'd have trouble going on the big pot and get some on her but learned how to communicate to Mom that it was an accident or that she needed help.

My 5-yr old daughter still takes off her clothes most of the time when she goes potty. My son used to do this too. The weird thing was, when he was little, he had to do the same thing when we used public restrooms! He got over it though and my daughter is slowly getting over it too. I think they feel more comfortable that way when they're young.

My nephew (now 19 yr old) used to do the same thing. His older brother and younger sister didn't do it, neither did my boys. He would take his shoes off in public restrooms so he could get his clothes completely off. My sister urged him to keep his shoes on and try going potty with his pants on. Eventually, he stopped taking his clothes off. I think he was concerned with getting dirty. He never told us why he did it.

Hi J. - I'm not sure why they do this but my daughter did the same thing - for whatever reason when she went potty she felt the need to be completely naked...she did stop doing that after several months of being potty trained - I suppose she just felt the need to be "free" :-)

That is so funny that you wrote this! I have the same issue with my daughter (now 4 yrs old) and I never understood why! She will say things like "because I'm going potty!" As if that were the most normal, common answer. I get frustrated, usually because it takes so long and if we are in a rush, who has time for the complete strip down?
We have always just thought it was her sensory issues. She has some sensory processing issues and I thought maybe that had something to do with it. Does your daughter have any issues like that? I am curious what this means as well.

Yes. My 3 year old is potty trained, and she started out doing the same thing (although kept her shirt on). She would have to kick off her pants, socks, undies. She doesn't do it so much right now though, so it does get better! Although my 5 year old seems to removed entirely her undies and pants most of the time...then redresses when she is done. At least my 5 year old can put it all back on herself!

1 / 3