Taking My Children to a Movie Theatre

My daughter (6) has never handled loud sounds very well. She can finally go in public restrooms without freaking out, but she still hates the sound of the hand dryer when someone uses it. My second daughter (almost 4) does better with loud noises. The reason this is an issue is that I would love to take them to see Toy Story 3, but knowing how loud movie theatres are, I know it would be a bad idea. I've heard, though, that if you ask them to turn the sound down, they will sometimes. Does anyone know if this is true, or should we just wait until the DVD comes out? I'd love to take them because I know they'd love it, but if it's too loud, they won't have any fun.

Thanks everyone! I'll probably see if the ear-muff idea works, and if it does, I'll do that. If not, I'll wait until the movie comes out on DVD. In response to one of the answers, though, I wouldn't take her if I thought she couldn't handle it. That's why I asked here to see if I could find another solution. I would never knowingly inflict fright/pain on my child. I think you could have answered in a kinder way.

take a set of ear muffs or big ear phones they will muffle the sound. My son is the same way we have a set of plush puppy ear phones we take with us and he does fine.

My cousin didn't like loud noises when she was little, so my aunt and uncle took her to the movies with headphones. They used the industrial ones that people with jackhammers use. It worked really well and it was quite a fashion statement! I would imagine you would be able to get them at Lowe's or Home Depot, or find them online. Good luck!

Updated

H.

I think you would ruin it for everyone else if you ask them to turn the sound down, plus it's usually teens who work in there. It probably won't be done. I would just wait till the DVD comes out. I know that my movie theater here does free movies in the summer (usually older movies). See if any theater in your city does it and test her out there to see if she will tolerate it.

I don't think you should ask a theater to accommodate one person (adult or child) UNLESS the sound is so loud or so low that many people are complaining.

Given your 6 year olds fear of loud noises, I would suggest renting the other Toy Story videos that she and you little one can enjoy in the privacy of your home at a sound level that doesn't upset her.

Blessings...

I have heard of theaters where they have special performances for smaller kids where the sound is not as loud. These are usually in the morning. I would call your local theater and ask.

I can't imagine them turning down the sound, I have never heard of the idea. You can try and if it is too much, you can leave. Maybe someone else could go with you so the younger girl can stay if she's enjoying the movie.

My friend bought some headphones for her son who doesn't handle loud noises well. They are the kind used to muffle sounds when you are shooting guns. They worked great for him because they were comfortable (he won't wear earplugs because he doesn't like how they feel) and they just muffled the noise enough to keep him calm without making it too hard to hear. I bought some for my kids for when we go to the airshow and when my family does their fireworks on my grandmother's ranch.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.js...

my aunt has really sensitive ears and she always wears earplugs to the movies.

And I worked at a movie theatre for 7 years....they wont turn it down. nor will they turn down the ac. They set it for if it was a full theater. The more people in there, the more that will absorb the cold and noise, but for some reason, they dont take into account that it's not always full.

Ok, to me, this question answers itself. Wait for the movie to come out on DVD! If your daughter is that sensitive to loud noises, why would you even consider taking her to a movie theater where you KNOW it will be loud?

Sorry, but I am so tired of people taking kids to movies when- for whatever reason- it isn't appropriate and the child is going to be upset, cry, etc. I feel bad for the child when that happens and it isn't fair to other people who are being quiet and have paid for their tickets. In this case, the issue isn't that the movie is age-inappropriate, but that you KNOW the movie theater experience will probably NOT be a good one for your little girl already. You KNOW the sound will upset her- why even take the chance?

I have never heard of a movie theater turning down stereo sound just to accommodate one person, nor should they have to. It is up to YOU as the parent to be responsible for what's best for your child- and that includes missing a movie if the sound will upset your daughter.

Just because its a kid's movie and they would 'love' it doesn't mean they HAVE to go to see it. The DVD will be out in just a few months and you can all enjoy it at home where you know your daughter will be comfortable. Everyone will have a good time then.

1 / 3