Taking Fruit from Ca into Arizona

Does anyone know if you can take citrus fruit (grown in your own backyard) across the state line from California into Arizona?

Just an fyi to Liv B....CA does not allow certain fruits and vegetables to be transported in due to the possibility of the fruit fly and other pests. They ask you about fruit at "bug" checkpoints when crossing the state line into CA. C., I have never had anyone ask about fruit when travelling into AZ from CA--thats while travelling on both I-8 and I-40.

If you are taking the 40 they do not stop you going INTO Arizona. They do stop you coming back into California, but they usually only ask where are you coming from. I have never had a problem taking fruit back and forth.

There are TONS of regulations for moving plant products across state lines. I am in the commercial horticulture business...sometimes it can be hard to get stuff between Northern and Southern California!

However, personal use is usually exempt within the contiguous 48 states. As long as you aren't bringing it across for sale, you shouldn't need any licensing.

Yes you can take them out but not back into.

I don't see why not. I have taken fruit grown in Florida to Ct. I do not know of any regulations that prevent people from bringing fruit from one state to another. If you were going to another country maby you would have a problem, but no one inspects your car when driving state to state.

I've been traveling from Oregon to California and back and from AZ to Calif and back for at least 20 years and I am positive that you are not supposed to bring fruit or plants into Calif. It's OK to take them out of Calif.

Sometimes the check station is not open and you can get by with taking fruit into Calif. Every time that the station is open they have asked me if I have any fruit or plants. I've had fruit taken away because I was honest and told them. I'd not finished my lunch before getting to the border. They do look thru the vehicle in a cursory way, anyway.

The reason for the rule is that Calif has had a great deal of difficulty with plant disease and this is their way of reducing the risk. Frankly I would understand if we were not allowed to take fruit across all state lines but as far as I know Calif is the only state who does this.

1 / 3