Taking Child to the Movies

I am curious when everyone took their child(ren) to the movies for the first time. How old were they? My daughter is only 15 months old now. She will watch TV for a few minutes, but I highly doubt she is ready to sit in a theater for a whole movie! lol I would love to take her to see Shrek III but that probably wouldn't be a wise decision! hehe

I have an 18month old I know what you mean. I have tried Wilderness drive in in Trenton and the regal bargain theatre in hamilton place behind big river grille. They charge 2.50 per person all day and 1.00 on wednesdays.

I started taking my kids to movies at young ages and it is true sometimes they will sit but sometimes they won't. If you do take her take lots of snacks that seems to help. But now I can take my kids and they will sit through a whole movie, so there is some advantage to taking them early but it's if you want to try it and have the patience :). I always get my kids a snack and an icy (at there age now).

S.,

I have a friends daughter staying with me for a few weeks. She wanted to go she Shrek III, but I had the same problem, my son is 5 months old and we went to the Drive-In on Summer Ave, behind Garden Ridge. He was asleep the first part, and then he sat in his bumbo set in the back of the trail blazer and watched the rest of the movie. Hope this helps!!

The first time I took my son to the movies was to see Harry Potter with me he was 3 and a half years old and sat thru and watched it. Any younger i think he couldn't have sat there that long!

I know that at 2 is a good time, but my son is 15 months old too and I sorta wonder when I could take him. The change and not having anything to distract them it just might work. Try it on a film during the day that you might not lose too much money. I will try it too and let you know how it goes. Good Luck,T.

Both of my children were around 2 years old when we took them to the movies for the first time.
When I took my oldest, I wasn't worried at all because he had always been very well behaved in public.
With my youngest, I was a little worried because he has ADHD and I wasn't sure that the movie would hold his attention long enough and that he might start getting "fidgety" and wanting to get out of his seat and roam around, etc. But he really suprised me! We bought him the little kiddie sized popcorn and drink and let him hold it, and he did great! I didn't hear a peep out of him throughout the entire movie unless he was laughing (it was one of the Rugrats movies.)
Now 15 months of age, personally, I wouldn't. But that's just me... because at that age, my two wouldn't sit through an entire movie at home so I was pretty sure that they wouldn't if I took them to the movies.
If you think your daughter will sit through it without getting restless, then go for it. She might suprise you! You won't know until you try.

I took my neice at 3y.o. and she sat thru the movie, but she was up and down. I have a 3 year old daughter right now and I have not taken her yet. I plan to take her @3.5 y.o. Most everyone I know states they really do sit thru a movie till they are about 4. Hang in there. I wanted to take my daughter that young too.

Honey, Take that baby to the movies, you and him will love it! I am single-single mom and my baby and I have been going on movie/dinner dates since before he could even talk good. He is two now and I now he has seen at least 10 movies and he loves it. When we ride by theaters, he say "Momma, I want TV!" If your daughter acts up a little bit, thats ok. Its normal. However, I do advise you to take her after her nap and during the day. This way, if the big screen doesn't get her attention, it want be as many people in there to disturb, plus, you want have to pay as much. At fifteen months, her ticket should be free. In addition, my cousin, who is also a first time mom, had joined me in the mom-son movie dates. Her son is 9 months old, and he has already seen Spider-man 3 and Shrek 3. Yes, he wimpered a little, most part he watched and ate (gerber puffs), or went to sleep.

Hey S.,

I've been told that Shrek III is not geared for the younger children (toddlers). I was told it hits more in the range beginning with 8 - 10 years olds.

I took my daughter to the movies for the first time at age 3 to see Curious George about half way through she was ready to go. I then took her again at age 4 to see Charlotte's Web and she got tired but lasted a little longer. I'm sure there all different in their attention span but I would wait a little longer unless your prepared to leave early.

My son was almost 3 when I took him to see a movie, he loved tv! About 5 minutes into it he started complaining it was to loud and "hurt" his ears. I thought it was something he would get used to. His protests got louder and louder, neeless to say by the time we left the people in the movie were very happy with my decision of leaving!

1 / 3