16 answers

Taking Care of My Mother...

My mother is diabled and can not take care of herself. Someone has to be with her at all times. She is going to come and live with us so I can take care of her. My question is...Is there a way I can get paid for being her care giver? My husband is military and might have to leave for a year so that means I would have to quit my job to take care of her full time. Their has to be a way for me to get paid for being her care giver and if any one has an information for me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you for those who responded. My mother does get Medicaid and that does help with her medical and medicine. I was just looking for funds to help with everyday stuff but I see that there is nothing out there that does such a thing. I promised her I would not place her in a home and I am going to try my best and keep that promise. I have seen on tv and with visiting family/friends in homes and I have see how they have been treated. I know this is not in every home but if I am able I will do my best to take care of her in my home. She is not here yet so I have time to try and save some money to help out and if need be I can turn to family memebers. Thanks again for your reponses.

Featured Answers

Hi, I don't wish to give out certain information through posting but if you would contact me through email (____@____.com) I can give you a person to contact who does just that...letting people now how you can get paid to take care of a loved one.


More Answers

Good Morning C....

In Haste: I had the same situation and took care of my Mother and Handicapped Brother 24/7 for nearly 10 years...in our home. I had to quit work, etc.

I got durable power of attorney for both of them and signature cards on bank accounts...had their Social Security checks set up for direct deposit and used their monies for their expenses...including our grocery budget. This was sufficient for me to manage all of our needs. Loss of my income made it a little tight, but it all worked out.

If you have any sewing skills, email me...maybe you can work with me from your home???

Hope that this helps...understand completely...praying for you and your family as I close...G.

1 mom found this helpful

Also, you might be able to get your mother listed as your husband's dependant and she will be able to live in base housing with you and get all the other benifits a dependent gets like Tricare!! Some worth checking into as I've heard this has been done before.

Good luck!

Ga does not allow family members to be paid caregivers if you are using medicaid waivers. call LIFE the center for independent living ###-###-####


If she receives any benefits through the state/federal govt she should have a case worker. Contact that case worker and see what type of programs there are for fulltime caregivers. It may not be enough to supplement income depending on your pay. I believe that the programs only provide what would be considered part time pay.

HI.. I would have your husband go and talk to the JAG office on post. I know that we were looking at a similar process a few years ago and they were really a great help.
I feel that they will be able to help you find a way to get paid for taking care of her.
Hope your Hubby stays here! Mine has been lucky enough to be back for a year now! Hope we can Keep him here!
Good Luck!

Sharie G is partially correct on what you can expect if you mom becomes your spouses dependant. She would be allowed space available care in the military's post hospital. But NOT Tricare coverage. If she becomes an authorized dependant she would be issued a military dependant ID card, but the back of it would NOT show hospital/tricare coverage, only the other authorizations would be listed in that block on the ID card.

Contact post JAG, ACS, or Military OneSource for further help and information on your situation.

If you need their phone numbers please contact me off line and I will get their information to you.

if she is on medicaid, depending on her disability, she may be able to get a medicaid waiver that will pay for someone else to provide the care she needs in your home. you should contact the Department of Health and Human Services to ask about which waiver she might be eligible for and whether the waiver covers Nursing or Personal Care services. That way you may still be able to work while knowing that she is being taken care of.

If you work for a large employer, then there is the family leave act, which allows you to take a leave of absence from your job rather than quitting. Check with your employer's personnel department. Also, you might want to look into adult daycare. There are several places in Atlanta where Mom could go while you are at work. You can also compare your salary to the cost of hiring help at home while you work.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.