Taking a Two and Half Year Old to Disneyland. What Do I Do About Nap Time!

My husbands parents, my husbands brother, my parents, my husband and I are taking ourson to Disneyland in June. He is two and a half and he usually gets up at 7 am takes a two hour nap at 12:30 or 1:00 and then goes to sleep at 9 pm. We are not sure what to do about his naps. We are staying at the Disneyland resort so we could go back to the hotel room at lunch time and take a nap and then go back to the park afterward. Or should we let him play at the park until he he is truly visually tired and call it a day around 5 or so. I would like to know what other parents have done in this situation. Also I would like to know what rides he can ride if any.

Just enjoy the day and let the baby let you know when he needs to rest. Usually they can fall asleep anywhere.

C.,

I'm at Disney World, with my 2 1/2 and 5 year old at this very moment. We've been coming since my oldest was 1, and we've found that a midday break always works wonders. We usually get to the park at opening, have lunch, maybe do 1 or 2 things after, then head back for a nap/downtime. When we head back to the park in late afternoon/early evening, everyone is refreshed and happy.

Have a GREAT trip, and remember, 2 1/1 is NOT too early to enjoy Disney!!!!

My experience with things like this is that if you take a stroller, he will fall asleep in it around his usual nap time and you guys can just grab a bite and maybe catch a show while he sleeps.

If you're staying at the resort, definitely go back and let him nap. He will sleep better and won't get overtired. He will be pretty overstimulated, so he won't last as long as you think he will if you skip his nap. The park is open late, so take advantage of getting out of the heat in the middle of the day and let him get some rest. He'll probably sleep better at night as well if he isn't too overtired and by going back to the park after naptime, you'll wear him out plenty to sleep good at night too. This is what I would do, but I'm sure you'll get other suggestions as well. We just went to Sea World with my 3 year old and 11 month old. They napped in the stroller, but it wasn't ideal and if we had been staying closer to the park, we would have left and come back. Also, the park closed at 6pm, so we wouldn't have had mucn time to go back later. Have a great trip! Sure sounds like fun!

We recently took our 3 kids, ages 6 and 4(twins) to Disney World. None of our kids nap anymore, but at Disney, we ALL needed a mid-day rest. We'd go back to our Disney resort and close those awesome, heavy, light-blocking curtains and pass out for a few hours. It was VITAL to our sanity (ours and thiers). The first day, the kids did great and didn't nap. They were so excited, but we paid for it on day 2. They were so tired and grumpy. That was when we realized that we were going to need to rest during the days. Heck, we paid a heftier price tag to be at a very close Disney resort for that reason!

Do not push him too hard. There is nothing there that you can't go back to see in a few years. The worst thing at Disney is seeing a poor child, who is obviously too tired, and throwing a fit.

Wish I could help on the ride recommendations, but we were in Florida.

Have a great trip!

My 2nd son was about that age when we went. I planned on going back to the hotel (we were on property also) but it ended up that it was a hassle. We brought our stroller and he napped in the stroller every day right after lunch. We just found a good spot to park the stroller in the restaurant and just stayed there for a couple of hours while he napped (and our stroller happens to fold flat, so it worked out well).

Kids know when they need a nap. We took our 2.5 yr old to San Francisco for a week - without fail, he had his daily nap. We never went back to the hotel for it, he just slept wherever we were! At the gardens he fell asleep in the stroller, he slept on the bay cruise, and in the car on our trip up to Napa. He's usually on the go 24-7, so we were suprised that he was able to sleep like that. So I would wait for his cues - if he's getting kind of quiet and tired, put him in the stroller and walk around the park for a bit to see if he wants to sleep (a good time for you all to scope out all that's there!). When he falls asleep, just park him in a quiet spot and enjoy the scenery. Or take him back to the room, if possible. But I honestly wouldn't plan your day around his naps. Neither of my kids have been crankfests with a missed nap on vacations. At home - definitely! But there's something distracting about being out that makes them behave, I guess!

Frankly, I would wait until he's a few years older. At his current age, he won't truly appreciate all that Disney Land has to offer.
Plus, you won't have to worry about your question anymore as naptime will be most likely a thing of the past.
Plus, he probably won't be allowed on hardly any of the rides. Perhaps a very few will allow him on.
Why not get your money's worth and wait until he's at least 6 or 7 when he can ride all the rides he wants, can last longer throughout the day, and really take home memories of a fantastic day?
If you are actually going to Disney Land for you and your adult friends, then just disregard everything I said and time your fun around your child's nap time. Otherwise, a cranky child will not make for a good time for the adults.

My advice is to take your son back to the hotel for the nap. I have four children that are 20yr., 17yr. and two 9 yr. old twins. We went to Disneyworld when my older ones were 5yr. and 3yr. We just recently went to Disneyland when my youngest two were 8 yr.old. Parents, grandparents, and child will have a much better time if you keep the nap time as normal as possible.

What a fun trip you have planned! I would stick to his schedule the best you can. I really like your idea about going back to the room at lunch for a rest/nap. You will probably all need it at that point! You will be doing a lot of walking and playing. Even if he is too excited to sleep, some afternoon downtime would be good for everyone. As the mom of an almost 2-year-old, I know there is nothing fun about overtired toddler. I hope you all have a wonderful time!

1 / 3