Taking a Lot of Formula in Checked Luggage and Extreme Cargo Hold Temperatures

My 10m baby is highly allergenic to cow's milk,soy and is on Alimentum powder. We are going on an international trip which takes about 20hrs flight time. I was planning to take about 40 16oz cans in my checked bags to last 4 months because alimentum is not available in that place (india). Other similac and enfamil formulas are available but not alimentum or nutraginem. My baby's primary food is formula. He eats a little bit of cereal and solids. He will be almost 12m at the start of the trip. Abott customer service told me that they recommend storing infant formula between 32-95 degrees F and there's a good chance that in the cargo hold it will be exposed to extreme temperatures (below 32 degrees F) and that formula exposed to extreme temperatures could affect the consistency of the product and cause separation.

I am feeling desperate. Has anybody taken formula in their checked bags for long international flights?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi
I had taken formula for my 8 mon old last year when I had gone to India. I was using Similac. I had carried only two cans for the initial 1 month (my doc had advised that it was safe to use fromulas available there but not initially since It wd be too much change for him). I had carried it in check in cargo and it was ok -no oeffect on consistency (I was carrying powder formula)
Hope this helps...

hi,
If it is in liquid form.Then i don't know.But if it is in powder ,it is fine.I put mine(going from State to France) in a separate small suitcase .(i took just four cans of powered ,it was just for two months and baby was breastfed and formulas fed,about half and half).I did isolated each can with bubblewrap to make sure they stay upright ,do not check too much or/and spill.
Hope this help.
N..

I would say pack powder... seem the easiest solution and it shouldn't have an issue with the temp.
BUT I will say that my oldest child (now 2) was totally off formula a week before she turned one. My 2nd kiddo (now 10 months) will most likely be off formula as well by 12 months. From 10-12 months their eating habits grow tons and you should really start amping up the types of foods you feed him.
Truly after 12 months formula is not necessary.
One might argue they need milk after 12 months, but many kids (like yours) can't do dairy and perfectly fine! As long as you are feeding him a well balanced meal he will have no issues.

Hi R. - I dont have too much information for you except that perhaps you could find a way to insulate it like in a softsided cooler, etc. It will protect from heat and from cold.

You might also check with the formula manufacturer for ideas on storing/shippin - they probably have a customer service area

R., I take it that this is liquid form. Can you buy it in powered form instead?

So sorry that I have no other advice...

can you ship it ???

I have not taken it on board before, but I know some flights have temperature controlled cargo areas (for pets), so I'd call the airlines. Also, did you think about mailing it? It'll probably be the same though, about the temperatures.

Can you ship it instead?
I would call the Alimentum people and ask for advice on how to get it there, and how it will be affected by possible temp fluctuations...
Certainly at 12 months solid foods are a good way to go. I find that in other countries they have great ways of introducing solids that we never thought of. Might be a great experience for your little one.
Also there may be some powdered almond or hemp milk available in stores or online? Certainly you can get goats milk in India...which is very high in nutritional value for your baby.
Good luck!!

1 / 3