Symptoms Seem like a Urinary Tract Infection but Tests Say No

Has anyone else ever had the exact same symptoms as a urinary tract infection without testing positive for one? The doctor insists I do not have a UTI, but I have a horribly urgent need to go to the bathroom that has been getting more intense all day. Right now I am about at the point of tears. It also hurts if I push on my bladder, almost as if it is bruised.

I'm sorry to reveal personal stuff here, but I'm desperate -- my husband and I had sex three nights in a row. Last night was night number three. Due to his back problems, we spend most of the time not in the missionary position. So, is it possible I actually have a bruised bladder? The nurse suggested this. I could understand that causing me to feel the need to go to the bathroom often, but it doesn't seem like it would keep getting worse all day or that it would burn when I go. This happened last month as well, right after three nights of sex, so I definitely see a trend, but it just doesn't make sense. Last month the test came back negative for a uti as well. Any ideas?

It's ONE YEAR since I originally posted my question. Someone just responded, so I thought I would give an update. It's ovarian cysts! Don't know why my doctors took year to figure that out. We didn't figure it out until one started leaking and I felt like I was in labor (not pregnant, by the way).

Ouch I have had UTI's but I always tested positive. I wouldn't be having sex if the symtoms are that bad! And wow 3 times in a row I wish I could find time! I hope you find out and get well keep us updated.

I am sorry i have no answers gore you.just a comment. Three nights in a row! Wow! So envious!

Updated

Try seeing a Urologist. They are specialists when it comes to the bladder and should be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

Like the other ladies, I'd talk to my OB and get a referral to a Urologist if needed too...

BUT to answer your question... Yes. Sex in the not missionary can cause irritation and burning and feeling like you have a UTI. Been there done that. A little TMI, but when I had those issues... He was a bit larger than average.

could be something called "spastic bladder". you can talk to your MD about a prescription for Detrol LA.

For sure I'd increase my water intake so you can flush that bladder out a lot. Not sure about the rest but keep seeking medical answers in case there is something wrong. To cut back on unnecessary urgency, you can cut back on caffeine, tomato-based foods, citrus, and spicy foods.

have they sent a urine sample to a lab to confirm it is negative? i had the same problem when i was pregnant, my doctor said no..but then a couple of days later i got a call saying the specimen they sent to the lab was positive..call your doctor and ask or request them to send a urine sample to a lab.

Did your doctor do an internal exam? The last time I thought I had a uti, my doctor did an internal exam and found a growth of something and took a swab of it to send to the labs. She also gave me some medicine that killed almost any infection and it did.

You said it is happening monthly? I had the same problem, I was treated for 2 months with antibiotics and my doctor finally ran some test. I did not have a UTI, she did an ultrasound. I have ovarian cyst. If your symptoms are following your cycle, you may want to ask the doctor about it.

1 / 3