Swollen Lymph Node

My son has a swollen lymph node in his neck. It is about the size of a 1 cm peanut. It never goes away. It has been like that for years. He is a perfectly healthy little guy but the swollen lymph node concerns me. When we point it out to the Dr. he says, it is probably nothing. Has anyone else seen this?

I took my son to the Doctor this past week. As many of you mentioned, the lymph node was in fact 3/4 of a cm to 1cm large, moved around easily and was in the back of his neck near his ears. The Dr. once again reassured me that this is all very normal and there is nothing to worry about so long as it doesn't get any larger, harder and continues to move around easily. He also said that it is very common in children to have lymph nodes in the back of their neck that are larger in size and don't go down. From everything that I have read and been told, regarding the warning signs, I am definitely reassured for now. Of course, I will continue to monitor him regularly! Thank you for all of your thoughtful messages.

Some people have lymph nodes that are always swollen for no real reason. I have one behind my ear that is always up- since I can remember.

My son has the same size lymph node at the back of his neck/base of his skull. As long as nodes are 1cm or less and can freely move, they are considered benign. I know it can be worrisome, but if it meets these criteria, it should be ok.

My son is 6 and has a swollen lymph node in exactly the same place behind the ear on his neck. My pediatrician said not to worry as well. My son also has autism and ironically many of the children we see regularly who also have autism have the same swollen gland! Children on the spectrum have many problems with there immune systems so I am sure there is a link. I should mention that I first noticed it after his first vaccination! Do any of your children also have autism? Chronic infections? or allergies? Just curious...

My son is now 9 years old and he has had the swollen lymph node since the very beginning. I also brought it up to our doctor and was told it is fine. Some people/children just have larger lymph nodes. There is no pain associated with it and I am not too concerned since my doctor eased my mind. Also, I have not known any other children with this so I will be curious to see what other responses you (we) get. Thanks and enjoy your little ones! They grow so fast!

I know I am a bit late to this post, but my 7 year old son has the same thing. It has been almost a year. At first the Dr's gave him different antibiotics thinking there was some kind of infection. Then the ENT the pediatrician sent us to did an ultrasound. Everything looked normal so he would go in every couple of months so they could measure it. Nothing ever changed. Recently they also did blood work on him and everything came back normal. So now we will only go twice a year to the ENT for monitoring. Finally I feel ok about the whole thing, but what a roller coaster.

My one son use to have it that it looked liked a dinsour trail down the side of his neck. They would come and go. And it usaly was that he was fighting a cold. I would fight to go to an ENT. They can make sure that it is not clogged or anything else. Sometimes any more we have to fight to get help for our children.

HOnestly, I have no idea what this could be. However, the fact that it's been like that so long is VERY concerning. I personally do not like your pediatrician's answer. I would take him to see a specialist immediately.
Best of luck to you.

My son also had this. His were mainly behind the ear. Out ped said it was normal. They have gone down in size but I can still feel them a little. My son seems healthy too. Since they have gone down I'm not too concerned.

My husband actually had this a few years ago. He had a lump on his neck for a good year. When he finally asked the dr. he was told that it was a swollen lymph node and instructed to let it alone...no touching. Apparently any touching or squeezing (which I can imagine is irrestable to a child) can irritate it so that the lump grows larger or remains for an even longer period of time. Eventually, my husband's lump went away and hasn't returned yet.

K.,
My daughter has had the same thing. They come and go. The dr. has checked it out and said it was nothing. I noticed one last week that was on her head behind her ear. It is bizarre. I would mention it at his next check up just so it is on record. But they told me not to worry.

1 / 3