Swollen Feet After Giving Birth

Hi All,

I had my daughter five days ago. We were released from the hospital two days after the delivery despite my daughters ICU health issue. We have been home & in the house for 3 days however my right leg and foot hurts worse than my back. I noticed when I woke in the middle of the night on Saturday after a shower & a nap before waking up to having the chills my right leg started hurting. Then Sunday I woke and my right leg hurts worse now my right foot feels swollen, and my toes has some tingling. I am hobbling around this house and has had kids before but I have not ever experienced anything like this. I usually bounce back into shape quickly but this doesn't seem right or is it just that my body is older now is my guess.

Does anyone know what this means? If so, is it ordinary or should I be calling my doctor, like right now?

I'd call the Dr and ask. it might be a blood clot in your leg. It can happen. I don't want to scare you, but don't want you to be in pain either. It might be that you should stay off your feet a lot more and keep them elevated. Congratulation on the new baby.

Call the doc ASAP!!! Sounds like a blood clot. These can be lethal if a part of the clot breaks off & lodges in your brain or, lungs. Call him now, even if it is the middle of the night. Or, go to the ER! I'm an ICU nurse.

Go to the ER for fluid retention, possible blood clot, or heart issues (circulation). I had the same issue... my legs swelled up to elephant size and I was in the hospital for 5 days. They thought it was post partum cardiomyopathy, then it was blood clots, then it ended up with my body being unable to handle the extra fluid left over from the baby, which my body was having a hard time absorbing.

Most women don't know this, but the body ups it's blood volume/fluid by 45-55% during a pregnancy in order to balance your circulation needs with the baby's. Once the baby is gone, you have all that extra fluid volume to loose or absorb...

It could be serious, blood clot.. ect.. GO to the doctor like right now..

I was thinking blood clot or post-eclampsia. Please call your OB/PCP and if you can't get in to see them then get to the emergency room.

I hope you've already called the doctor and seen someone -been to the ER, etc. It's highly likely you have a blood clot or post-partum pre-eclampsia. I never knew that pre-eclampsia could happen after you gave birth, but it happened to me! My BP was fine all during pregnancy, but I did have pretty horribly swollen ankles and feet for months. However, my BP spiked during delivery and never went all the way back down. My legs and feet swelled more awfully after getting home and I had to go back into the hospital for a few days. BOTH conditions -blood clot or pre-eclampsia are VERY dangerous. If you haven't already, please go to your doctor NOW. Hope you're well!

I'm with the blood clot....very serious! Please call your doctor o go to the Emergency room!

That happened to me, but my feet were so swollen and itchy, I had such a bad rash. It was because they gave me so much fluid in an iv that it never came back out so it stayed in my feet and legs. They told me to take a benydryl and it helped a lot.

I would call the doctor though and just make sure to be safe. Better safe than sorry!! A blood clot would be really bad.

1 / 3