Swollen Ankles After Pregnancy

I gave birth to a new baby girl on September 30th. I was not swollen before or during labor. After 4 days (3 were spent in the hospital) my legs, ankles, and feet are swollen. Please tell me what I can do about this other than elevating my legs and feet.

I did make an appointment to the doctor but started to feel better...less frantic. And like many of you said, the swelling went away over time. It didn't appear that the elevating helped too long. As soon as I was up and about, I would swell again. I did cancel my appointment. Now at five weeks, I'm feeling great. Breastfeeding is keeping the weight off (if I loose anymore, I won't be able to face a strong wind). I have a Billy Blanks CD and plan to take a couple of Pole classes...this should all help me get my figure back. Considering how well I've handled having another baby, this is my only real concern...about my physical self.
Thanks again for all the advice.

I just gave birth on Sept. 6th & the exact same thing happened to me. I didn't swell at all during pregnancy but because of all the fluids they pumped in me during labor, my feet & ankles were terribly swollen for about 2 weeks afterwards. I was told to wrap hot towels around them, to stay off of them as much as possible, & to elevate them & it finally went away.

Congratulations on the baby!!!!

Have you checked with your doctor to make sure that you do not have Post Clampsia or any complications.

My ankles swelled up after my birth as well. I had to limit the time I stood and sat with my feet below me (sitting up). I elevated them as much as possible and made sure I drank plenty of water! I think soaking them in epson salts may help.

Limit your intake of salt and walking will help! Try continuing to sleep on your left side (it helps with elimination). You can also get elastic socks if it persists (mine was normal within the week).

This too shall pass! Congratulations on the baby!

Here's to being a Passion Parent!
C. Hiebel
www.PassionParent.com

You should contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!!! I'm not trying to scare you, but I had POST-PARTUM pre-eclampsia with my first. I had never heard of it and it's rare -usually happens before birth, but especially if you're having any headaches, vision changes or spots in front of your eyes or upper gastric pain, you need to go to the doctor NOW. I had been home for about 4 days when I swelled up terribly and started having headaches. I am currently on bed rest awaiting lab results about possible pre-eclampsia now, and it's no joke. It's when your blood pressure spikes during or right after pregnancy and protein starts leaking into your urine and bloodstream that can cause you to become "eclamptic" -and that means stroke or seizure and possible coma or death. Please call your doctor! They will run tests, and if you are you will be in the hospital for about 2 days on a magnesium drip that will take care of the problem.

It may be hypertension caused by the delivery. Check with your doctor. I suffered with the same problem and ended up having to go back into the hospital 1 week after giving birth. Better to be safe than sorry.

There are special socks for this and it helps for your legs and feet not to swollen

I had this problem too. Take lots of fluid like water, juice, soup etc that shd take care of the problem.

The way my Dr explained it to me was that since we have so much fluid in our body around the baby during pregnancy, some of it remains there after delivery and then gets to the extremities of your body like feet, hands etc but the only way to get rid of this is again by taking more fluid. It sound starnge but it worked for me. Try it.

Regards,
PS

You need to see your doctor asap! That happened to me & my doctor was so concerned for complications of retaining fluid(which could be for several reasons) she gave me lasics, but said if it didn't get any better within 24-48 hrs to go to the ER. It took me a couple trips to the ER and 2 weeks to get better and this was only with my last child. Get yourself checked out. I am a stay at home mom of 5!

B.:

PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!! It could be nothing...but it could be pre-eclampsia or hypertension. The doctor will be able to tell you if it is just water retention, or if your blood pressure is high. It is better to be safe and it be "nothing" that it be "something" and you risk your health over it by not getting it checked out. Good luck with it, but, again, PLEASE go see your doctor immediately.

1 / 3