Switching to Toddler Bed

My son is 17 months old. When is the best time to switch to a toddler bed? I haven't had any problems with him trying to climb out of his crib yet (I have no doubts this will happen sooner or later, though). I've read a lot of other moms have had their kids in toddler beds at a much earlier age than my son is, so I was just hoping to get some input.

In my experience I put my first son (now 8) in a toddler bed way too early! He was about 15 months. I wish I would've waited until he was climbing out of his crib or at least until he understood, "stay in bed", not that he would have but you know what I mean. I don't plan of getting a toddler bed for my second son (1 yr) until he's at least 2.

My boys both went into toddler beds around, two, but they were climbing out of their cribs. My daughter stayed in her crib til she was almost 4 (it converted to a daybed). If he's not climbing out yet, then I wouldn't worry about it. They have plenty of room in their crib for quite a while. :)

I skipped the toddler bed & went straight to a twin. I moved my son into the twin when he was around 20 mo or so. It was only the box springs & mattress, no frame. Both beds we set up at the same time for a couple months or so. He started taking naps in the twin first until he wanted to sleep in the big boy bed at night some too. I put some of his toys to bed in the twin so he knew it was ok at night also. No rush though. Good luck.

I waited with my first daughter until she was just past 2 before I switched her to a toddler's bed. She was totally content to still sleep in a crib and I figured why rush it, especially my second daughter was born when my 1st was 20 months, so another reason I waited. Anyway now my 2nd daughter is 20 months and she too, is content in her crib and I think we'll wait until she's 2+ as well.
If you're interested and depending where you live, I have a toddler bed that we purchased at Babies-R-us and the mattress, that we're looking to get rid of. We barely used the toddler bed since my 1st daughter was big (always been in the 100%)and grew out of it fast and for my second daughter we have a converter crib. Let me know if you would be interested and I could email you pictures of it.

I am actually going through the same thing with my 22 month old. I just ordered a twin bed and rails. After a lot of consideration and talking to other Moms, I decided to skip the toddler bed all together. It just ends up being another transition. They get use to the toddler bed and then you have to transition them again. My son also does not climb out of his crib, but I want to get him use to his big boy bed so we can start potty training. We are making a big deal out of it...painting his room, and inviting family over for a "party" to see his new room, so hopefully it will work well! I am terrified of him getting out of bed too, but he has a gate on his bedroom door, so hopefully he won't wander far! Good luck!

N.,
I left my daughter in her crib until she climbed out at almost 2. The problem with the toddler bed is that she wouldn't stay in it after she discovered she could get out. I also know that if they are too little, they may fall out. I say don't rush him if you don't need to (ie another baby is coming and you need the crib). I have a son also that is 15 months old now and I have no intention of moving him to a big boy bed for the time being. He is content in his bed and I am content to leave him there until he starts putthing that foot up on that top rail.
Gymboree Play and Music

I waited until my son was 27 mos old, but only did it that early since he was getting too big for it (he's tall). I was scared to do it, since I was afraid he wouldn't stay in bed and it would be difficult to made him go to bed. I took him straight from his baby bed to a twin and had absolutely NO problems at all. He's only fallen off once, which was actually pretty funny, to me anyways, since he was still asleep.
Do what feels right to you. If he's fine in his baby bed, there's no rush, in my opinion, to do what everyone else is doing. But from what I've read, once they start climbing out, get him a big boy bed.

There is no mandatory age for child to move to big boy bed. My son is Going on 3 and just moved into toddler bed 3 months ago. My advice is he will let you know when its time. Usually a sign is if they are getting in /out of crib by himself. what I did was just left it set up in his room, so if he wanted to lay in he could even just for a minute. It definitly works out when you let them tell you when. Trust me don't be in a hurry and if he does move put safety knob on his door so he can't escape when you're sleeping.

Godluck!! Tara

Hi N.,

My daughter wasn't showing "signs" really but I had borrowed the crib from a friend and her baby is due at the begining of March so I wanted to get her crib back to her.

The other reason was I have 4 kids and we did have the 3 younger ones in the same room my 2nd child is getting older and since I have 2 boys (older) and 2 girls (younger) we made "the boys room" and "the girls room" so we made the switch to a toddler bed at the sametime.
So I think it's different for everyone. I have a friend who has twins the same age as my daughter and she is no where near moving them to toddler beds or even twin size beds.

Every kid is different. We only switched our son at 20 months because he had been climbing out before he could walk! (9-10 months) I know they make crib tents, but I couldn't see the expense when he was going to go to a toddler bed anyway and would probably figure out how to tear down or get out of a crib tent! I'd say if he's not climbing out and there are no issues (back problems, etc.) with you getting him in and out -- keep him in the crib and enjoy it!

1 / 3