Switching to Milk;

I know that there are a lot of opinions out there on this one: switching my 1 year old boy from breastmilk to...?? Primary care pedi (and daycare provider w 25 yrs experience) both say stick w/ cows milk. ENT dr (he has had ear infections - just started low dose of antibiotics to dry out ears) says stay away from dairy. He didn't have much from bottles today - first time I mixed soy milk in.
I am stressed about it because I'm officially done pumping and have very little breastmilk left in the freezer. Don't eant to waste it on a transition, well, that I'm unsure of.
Also hoping to drop daytime nursing on weekends, too - ideas?

First of all, don't add soy or feed him soy as it is high in estrogen. Read more at www.mercola.com
If he is having ear infections, he will probably continue having them when the antibiotics have been taken away for awhile. Rounds of antibiotics are not at all good for anyone.
I got rid of my problems with Peaceful Mountain Sinus Rescue which is a silver product. Mine were sinus issuses, but swabbing the ear with silver or with hydrogen peroxide (much cheaper)kills germs and bacteria.
He may also be allergic to milk if you think there is a link between that and his problems. I do food allergy testing as do many other practitioners. You might consider that, as well.
He may also do better with goat's milk as it is easier to digest. And chiropractors often say they can get rid of constant ear infections. So there are a few other things to try. You don't want him getting immune to the antibiotics from using them again and again as he grows. One day he may actually need one.

L. Mac Dougall, Holistic Health Practitioner

If you are dealing with ear infections DO NOT switch to dairy OR soy. There are so many other options out there. One that is great (I hear, my kids didn't get to try it as we didn't know about it) is www.neocate.com.

PLEASE read "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders", by Dr. Kenneth Bock

On another note, please make sure YOU have done the research on vaccinations for YOUR child. The AAP recommended schedule of shots for children is too many, too soon. Here are sites and books that I always recommend for people to start their research:

www.909shot.com
www.tacanow.org

The Vaccine Book, by Dr. Robert Sears

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations, by Dr. Stephanie Cave

Evidence of Harm, by David Kirby

Also, check out the latest news on the rates of autism:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/autism-rate-now...

Dairy is a top allergen and is is not meant for human consumption. I own a natural paretning store in fullerton, Belly Sprout, and I am able to hear of problems related to dairy from the parents. When children have eczema or other fodd-related problems, it is usually diary that is first eliminated.

I have 2 boys, aged 3 and 5. I breast-fed and continue to breast-feed my youngest, although I understand this is not an option for you. Because I went to a natropath and am involved in the natural parenting community, I never gave my kids cows milk. The information was clear; cows milk causes more problems than benefits. Goats Milk, although expensive, is the most like breast-milk and digests easier. Almond and Hemp milk are better alternatives than Soy, as long as your baby doesn't have an allergy to Almonds. Hemp milk is full of nutrients and that's waht I give my boys. We only do Goats Milk yogurt as well as the milk. I can tell you that my boys do not get the ear infections other kids do!

The problem with Soy is that it is one the top genetically modified foods. The studies on the benefits of Soy were done on traditional cultures eating fermented Soy, not the processes stuff we eat today. My family does not eat ANY form of Soy and I go out of my way to make sure Soy is not in any of our food products!

Check out our website, wwww.bellysprout.com or join me on Face Book, C. Funk. We post a lot of information on health, natural parenting and green living. I will be doing a lecture a week from saturday, The First 7 Years and how we can either help our children eat better to live healthier!

C. Funk
www.bellysprout.com

If your child is already having issues with ear infections, I would avoid cow's milk. Additionally, I would avoid sugary foods; a diet with an abundance of sugar, dairy products and overly rich foods are all things that we would say are "damp-inducing" and "phlegm-inducing" from a TCM perspective (read: can cause ear infections and other problems, especially in small children). Goat's milk is far more easily digestible and may be a good choice instead of dairy.

Soy milk would be one alternative that I would look into before making it primary substitute; while it has a lot of protein per serving, there are many phytoesters per serving as well. While this can be great under some cicrumstances, I am not sure if you want to make that a primary food for a developing boy. I've heard you'll want to avoid giving boys too much soymilk when they are going through puberty, but I am actually not sure about what to do for a male infant. That is something I would research.

Best of luck to you!

Hi M. - I have 2 kids and one thing I learned is that sometimes trial and error is the best:-) As you can see, everyone's opinion is different, and nobody else knows your child. If it were my child, I would start with cow milk (whole) and see if he does well with it. Stay with it for at least a couple of weeks. If you don't feel that is right during the "trial", change to soy milk, or rice milk or almond milk. A lot of these alternatives add tons of sugar in it, and the sugar isn't good for either his teeth or ear infection. So see if you can find "unsweetened" kind. Also, ask your ped about pediasure or Step 2 formula. My first one is always healthy so I always give him whole milk. But my second one has had health issues, and her doctor recommended that I gave her either formula (#2) or pediasure till she was 2.5. Great job in nursing/pumping till now!! you are a great mom..

Ok, you must decide whats best for your child and remember that every child is different, but I have to add my opinion.

Whole Cow's milk is great! I breastfeed my son for 21 months. He will be two at the end of the month. He started drinking whole cow's milk at 10 months. He also loves yogert and cheese. He drinks 2-3 cups of milk plus at least a cup of yogert and a slice of cheese everyday. He is in the 85-90% tile on the growth charts. He has had one cold out of two years that we had to go to the doc. for and it didn't invole an ear infection.

Again it is up to you but I just had to add my experience after reading the other responses that you recieved.

Also the little boy that I watch eats the same things as my son and he is very healthy also.

Tina

Just be careful about soy. It has a lot of estrogenic properties and could stunt the growth/developement of boys in particular. Not for sure...but I would definitely do some research. Both my girls were allergic to milk, and had numerous ear infections until the one year mark when I took them off of milk altogether. Both did just fine on yogurt and cheese in moderation though. There are so many other ways to ensure their intake of calcium.
Good luck and I wish you the best!!

BOTH my babies were b-fed, then on soy-formula then I switched them to Organic Rice Milk (unsweetened)....My son is a healthy 2 y/o who has NEVER had an ear infection (or any problems from soy) and neither has my 10 month old daughter. This is just my experience.
Research and then decide what is best for YOUR family.

Hi there.

It really needs to be whatever you are comfortable with. I breastfed my first son for a year and then transitioned him to cow's milk. He also had a TON of ear infections his first year and hasn't had one since that first year. He's four now. He's done fine with cow's milk and has at least a glass a day.

My second son is 10 months old and I'll start transitioning him when he's a year...but like I said, I'm comfortable with cow's milk and really haven't seen or read anything that I believe that compells me enough to change.

-M

1 / 3