Switching to a Front Facing Car Seat.

I am currently using the rear facing infant carrier, however, my son is now 6 months old and is at the height requirment to switch seats. He is still 1 lbs below the weight limit for the front facing (22lbs), and I am wondering if it is even safe to switch him yet? He still seems so young to be front facing but he can sit up on his own and when he is in his carrier he just pulls himself into a sitting position and gets angry when you have to latch him down.
Plus it sure would be nice to not have to lug around the extra weight of the carrier anymore!

Thanks to everyone for their insight! I thought it seemed a little early to turn him around and now it has been settled...I'll be heading to Toys R Us tonight.

He's too young to switch to a front facing seat. They have to be over 20 lbs AND one year old. I was just reading that the spine is not strong enough to withstand the impact of a car crash. My 8 month old is over 20 lbs, but I'm still lugging him around in that carrier. My sons feet stick out over the bottom a little. As long as his head is still being supported, then you won't have to switch to a convertable seat.

Don't pull a Briteny! :)

I am sorry to say but you can not switch him to a fron car seat because their bones are still fragile. They make car seats for infants and toddlers. Where you still have it facing the rear and than when he is about one than you switch it to the front. But my daughter meets the length but not the weight yet and i am tiring of lugging around the car seat all the time i just wish i could throw her on my hip and go. But sad to say you can't do it yet

I would wait until he is a year. I have read that they say a year is the best time as long as all the other requirements are met. When my son out grew his car seat we bought one that would face rear and then face forward when the time came.

from what i understand and what my pediatrician told me, you don't switch until age one, even if height and weight requirements are met. my son met and surpassed those requirements a few months ago but i continue to be told not to face him foward until he turns one.

If your son is 6 mths old he is not old enough by law or has enough body strength to go front facing. You need to get a convertible car seat that goes rear facing and front facing when he is ready. We got ride of out car seat carrier about 6 mths which seams like such a waste of money it only lasted us 6 mths our son was to long to fit in it anymore. The convertible car seat that my pediatrician recommended that was affordable was the Evenflow Triumph. It was 149.00 at babies r us but my son is almost 2 now and still fits in it. I holds up to 40lbs front facing. Good luck with your new son and enjoy him.

W.

Don't pull a Briteny! :)

I don't think your suppose to place them in a front facing car seat until they are 1 year old. You can buy a bigger carseat that is rear and front facing. That's what we had to do with my daughter. She grew to the max height so we bought a carseat that could be used either way. But I don't think I would place your 6 month old in a front facing carseat just yet. It's not worth taking a chance.

I would strongly recommend against switching him so young. It's also recommended if you read that they be 1 years of age to switch. If you can find someone who does the carseat checks to talk to and see if they recommend you switching him. They are usually at car dealerships or even the police departments. But they tend to not have the strength they need in their neck like they develop through the first year so they don't want them facing forward before that. But I think it's better to be safe than sorry, you never know when an accident could possibly happen.

A convertable car seat would probably be best for him. They are a little bigger, and he can still ride facing the rear until 1 year of age. My daughter just turned 1 year and doesn't meet the lenght or weight requirements, but because she is 1 year, I was told that she would be fine. I got a convertable seat for her, and it was great not to have to carry the seat around. It is much nicer to get her up and out of the seat.

You should wait until he is one. I know pound wise he is big enough to turn around but he needs to be tall enough as well.

1 / 3