Switching from Breastmilk to Whole Milk

I have a Baby boy that will be one in March. I am not producing as much as I have been in the past. At what time frame can his system handle being switched from breast milk to whole milk? He was born a few weeks early and has had numerous surgeries. All the healing time has made him slightly behind other one year olds. He is not crawling yet and he can't swallow anything more solid than bread and baby food. Though there is a possibility that there is something wrong with his soft pallet. So will he still be ok giving him cow milk at one year old.

I would like to thank everybody for the overwhelming responses. I will definitely be talking to his ped. on his next visit about the best option for my little guy. I pumped an extra few times to build my supply back up, so for now we are doing good. I had not thought of goats milk, and if we went the cows milk, it would be organic! Thanks for the support.

My Pediatrician had both of my kids go to whole milk at age 1, so should be okay to start introducing him to it. Try giving it to him in a sippy cup, it will help introduce him to the sippy cup and break him of a bottle.

the best thing for him at his current stage (what you have described) is to continue to breast. the nursing will help him to develop good mouth and neck muscles. to increase your milk, pump after he eats for about 5-10 minutes. pump at night if he is sleeping all night get up every 4-6 hours to pump. eat a good diet and lots of liquids. encourage him to eat well. hope this helps.

Jen,
I would talk to your doctor before going to just cows milk. He may want your son to stay with formula, or maybe not. Since your son has had surgeries I would make sure about allergies to milk and if milk has as much nutrition as formula at his age.

I would ask your doctor. The thing that I have heard is that you can introduce milk one year from their due date. And then you just introdue a little bit at a time. But I'm not sure about babies with allergies. That's why a call to the dr would be helpful. Good luck.

My little man cam e a little over 5 weeks early, he was very healthy adn didn't need the surgeries yours did. My ped pushed me to give him whole milk at one year. I slowly added that from a sippy cup while continueing to brestfeed. Jack weaned himself at around 13 1/2 months. I would definately consult your ped. I couldn't drink milk due to issues with Jack's digestion. It just seemed to make him so colicey. I never really started drinking it again until after he was weaned even though I probably could have. If you drink milk and he doesn't have any reaction it will give you a clue as to how he can handle it.

Consider goats milk instead of cows milk. Goats milk is much easier on the body than cow. Unfortunately here in the states we have been brain washed to think cows milk is better. So goats milk is a bit more expensive but well worth it. Your little one will not have as much of a chance to allergies from goats milk. Remember 2/3 of the world drink goats milk.

Also for food have you tried avacados mashed up for him? There is a lot of good vitamins and such in there to help his immune system.

He is old enough to drink milk now, congrats on being able to breast feed for so long my three lasted to about six months until the teeth came in and i could not stand the pain anymore.

Take care,

Rarely do i post, but today seems to be the day to speak up for breastfeeding. i successfully breastfed two children, first one to 2.5 years and second for 18 months and then forced to stop because of an intense infection unrelated to breastfeeding. As a doc's wife i also supported many, many moms over the years with breastfeeding.
Firstly, trust that your body is providing plenty of milk for your son, and if you are inclined to continue breastfeeding him, that is the best for both of you. Nutrition and relationship are the best for him. May seem that he is not nursing as long, trust that he is getting more faster. With the drawbacks to cows milk-allergenic and high hormones, chemicals, etc. Why move away from nursing?
i am 60+ grandmother.

Stay away from cows milk. Look for organic goat milk.

1 / 3