Switching Formula

My daughter is currently 10 weeks old. She is supplementing from breast milk to formula because I work full time so I pump at work and once before I leave to take her to the babysitter. The babysitter usually gives her 6 oz of my breast milk and then another 10 more oz of formula before I go and pick her up.

My question is that my daughter is taking Similac Advance and does okay on it. The only problem she usually has is she only has a bowel movement every 2-3 days, but the doctor says that is normal since I am supplementing her back and forth between the breast milk and formula. I just received 2 powder cans of Enfamil in the mail over the weekend and I want to know if it is okay to use even though my daughter is on Simalac. I was going to go ahead and use it after the Simalac was all used up. I was told that you are not to switch the baby's formula unless directed by the doctor. Can I use the Enfamil or should I just try to give to somebody else to use?

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone's responses!

I ended up having to give my daughter some of the Enfamil because I was completely out of the Similac. I have used the Enfamil while she was breast feeding and given Similac at the babysitters. She is doing great! Now, when I switched her from Similac Iron to Similac Advance, she spit up more. Not a big deal though. She seems to do just fine with the Similac Advance and Enfamil.

You can use it as long as it is the same base as the similac(cow's milk or soy etc.) you dont want to put her on anything she may be allergic to( my son has an allergy to cow's milk protein) so if you know she does okay with cow's milk base then go ahead and switch her she may have a little diahhreah for a day but thats just cause of the switch..

I switched both of my children's formulas and never really had a problem. I had samples of a couple of different kinds and I tried them out before I bought a large can of anything. Neither one had a problem with the swtiching. I breast fed for 9 months with both before I tried the formula.
Good luck-

I breastfed my daughter and they switched her to the same formula. I changed it to Similac Sensitive because she wouldn't have a bowel movement. The Sensitive formula worked because it is easier to digest and it is still milk-based.This all happened when my little girl was 3 weeks old...she is 2 months now and still on the same formula. They say not to change brand names of formula because it is hard on little tummys.Hope everything works out for you! -Angie Johnson

We switched from Enfamil to Similar for constipation issues as well and neither worked well- What did was Nestle GoodStart - it also smells better and is much easier to digest with comfort proteins. It does not contain Casein (a milk protein) that some kids are sensitive to. I would definitely try it first.

We switched formula because our daycare (at the time) provided one formula and we were using another. We didn't ask the doctor and I don't think it's a big deal. I think you could switch one day and most likely wouldn't see a change in your daughter. When we switched, we did 25% new formula and 75% old, then 50%-50%, then 75%-25%, and then 100% new. We saw no issues when we did it.

Formula is quite regulated so there isn't too much of a difference between formulas.

We did almost exactly the same thing with my son! We had to supplement with formula sometimes when he was with the babysitter or when I didn't pump enough at work. We started out with him on Similac but then received a bunch of free Enfamil. Since that stuff is so darn expensive, we decided to use the Enfamil. And once we had him on that, we actually liked it better! So we stuck with Enfamil. My son also didn't have a lot of bowel movements when he was that age. Sometimes he would go days and days. There were a couple of times that our pediatrician had us give him some prune juice. We would mix a little in with the expressed breast milk or formula bottle. Usually that would get things going! As he got older, he got much more regular. Now he's almost 10 months and he has bowel movements 3 or 4 times a day! He got more regular once we started him on solids. That seemed to help things. Our DR says this is all very normal.

Good luck! A.

Hello. I have always been told by my pediatrician to not switch formulas unless necessary. My 3 month old is on Enfamil and just gave away a bunch of Similac Advance that I received free in the mail. It doesn't seem right not using what you get free since formula is so expensive, but I would follow the advice of the doctors and give the formula away. You might see if your babysitter has any other children that use Enfamil.

You can switch back and forth. The only reason the formula companies tell moms to check with their doc first is to just cover their a** in the rare case your child has a reaction to it, or to make sure you don't give a special diet formula to a baby who doesn't need it. You may also want to check with your doc before giving soy formula but to just switch between 2 'normal' ones (ie, no iron added simalac and no iron added enfamil) is totally fine.

All formula sold in the US is essentially the same thing, BTW. There are strict minimum guidelines the manufacturers must follow so the cheap store brand stuff is just as healthy and nutritious than the expensive name brand ones like simalac and enfamil.

I think you will be fine. Switching formula is more dependent on the baby's taste (whether or not they will switch easily or not). Most all formula is the same ... especially Enfamil & Similac. My oldest daughter used Enfamil and my youngest is now on Similac. You should be fine to switch. GOOD LUCK!!!

I agree with Andrea - if you want to use the formula and see how your daughter reacts - use some of the old formula with the new for 3 weeks. The first week use a 2 parts old to 1 part new. The second week use 1/2 and 1/2 old to new and the 3rd week use 1 part old to 2 parts new. By the 4th week, you are using only the new one. Give it a couple of days to see how she does. This is also the method I used for weaning my daughters from formula to whole milk when they were 1.

1 / 3