Swimming Pool Suggestions - What Do You Love, Hate, Wish You Had?

We are in all likelihood going to be building a pool in the next couple of months and I would love to have your input.

What do you love about your pool and/or pool area? (specific features, shape, etc)

What do you hate about your pool and/or pool area?

What do you wish was different about your pool?

BTW - not super interested in opinions about whether to have a pool or not, that decision has already been made. (We are buying a house and of course the one we like best doesn't currently have a pool.)

D

Edit: I just want to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses... this is REALLY helping us! Keep them coming... will probably be moving forward next week!

While I no longer have a pool, what I truly loved when I did was salt water. The system seems to be gentler to skin and eyes, I believe salt water systems have higher initial startup costs but lower maintenance costs.

I had to have a pool. We moved and there was a lovely in ground pool with a waterfall and I was so excited... that lasted for one season! At first we got in it all the time but intrest dwindled. The maintence is very exspensive if you are like us and don't know what you are doing. It slowly became a pain in my side and ill never have one again!

At first we had a chlorine pool. Then we converted it over to salt water. Love the salt water. you can open your eye underwater and not get the burning sensation from cholrine. However, the salt does not mix well with the flagstone around our pool. its starting to eat away at it and make the flagstone chip away. at some point we might have to get that replaced. i wish it would have know salt water would do that. so if you go the salt water route, make sure the border around your pool is not going to be eaten away by the salt water. I definitely think salt water is the way to go though. easier maintenance and cleaning.

I wish I HAD a pool!!! LOL!

I did have a friend with an in-ground pool, and they said that the one thing they wished they had done was to build a 'lip' around the pool. (you know, a shallow dip where the water still comes in, but debris can't get into the normal pool) They said that cleaning the pool got to be such an annoying chore that they couldn't enjoy the pool like they wanted. With the lip, you can rinse your feet off before getting in the water so you don't track in so much mess.

We have a water fall in ours and the kids love it. Also, we have steps that go into the shallow end (for dog to get out since he loves to go swimming too! LOL). The deck around our pool has a special treatment so it doesn't get too hot to walk on. As far as shape ours is an odd shape (paid extra) and it really isn't anything special now. Wish we would have just gone with the standard oval or rectangle pool. I would also suggest leaving enough room on one side for your patio furn.

D. B. Can it be a hot pool guy?

My sister has a pool, I do not, but what I LOVE about hers is that on the top step getting in she has an Umbrella ... she can put it in/take it out at any time. It is the type of umbrella you put in your patio/backyard table. I love the thing, it's great for when you just want to cool off your feet in the pool while the kids are napping to sit under, when the kids need a re-application of sunblock good place for them to sit under the shade and let them get their feet wet while it soaks in ... I just LOVE the umbrella in the top step. She wanted to have the same in the deep end but the opted for the slide/diving board instead for the kids, nice question good to learn from other's experince on this one. Hope it turns out GREAT!

We had a pool once that had a lot of rock formations-- including one that was a huge fountain/waterfall. They looked cool and pretty, but they were a huge attractions for birds. We always had bird poop all over the place and ended up with a pigeon and dove infestation. It was horrible! Thankfully we were just renting the place and didn't have to worry about it long term, but I would not suggest anything that looks remotely like a real rock. Keep it simple and it will be easier to maintain.

One thing we had that we loved was a ledge in the pool that was large enough to sit on and had a hole for an umbrella. Very nice!

Our pool is pebbletec which is great on the feet. I remember growing up without pebbletec and swimming for hours and the bottoms of my toes were completely raw. We do have some boulders coming out of the edges which look nice, but they are really a hazard whencoming out of the water. We have all hit our heads on them. If you want something fancy, I would limit it to one area. Also near our stairs we have one really large stair with an umbrella hole in it, so its great to sit under while the kids are swimming. Our pool cleaning guy said to steer clear of the salt for the same reason someone else had mentioned, it ruins the pool deck. Lastly, we have a mesh fence which I love. It is not as intrusive as an iron fence and it can easily be removed and put back up. Also, there is no way for the kids to climb the fence, there is no where to hold on with their feet. Plus it will never rust.

1 / 3