"Swimmers But?"

my seven year old broke out with pimples on her bottom after the hot week where we wore bathing siuts all week long and hopped in and out of the lake. Now after almost two weeks they have turned into sores. We're put on antifungal cream adn been using tea tree oil as well. It no longer hurts but looks raw and uncomfortable. Of course we are away visiting family for another few weeks-- any ideas? Reminds me a bit ofteh old diaper rash so we also bought cream to put on before she goes swimming... but trying to figure out what we can do to help it go away!!!

I called our ped and they suggested we visit a local walk in clinic. Nonaround here, so with a visit to the ER we were handed an antibiotic to try. Although the doctor seemed to think it looks more like exzema. Follow up if needed with our ped in a few weeks after vacation. In the mean time though, some of the oil ideas seem like they will be worth looking at and we'll keep her changing out of the wet bathing suits.

Hi L., Sounds like you are doing a good job, just takes time. Wash out the bathing suits with soap and water, dry in the sun so fungus does not spread. Zinc oxide and corn starch will dry up rash. Enjoy the summer, Grandma Mary

If it is a diaper rash, you might want to try Triple Paste Cream (over the counter at most pharamacies). My son had a diaper rash so bad that it was starting to bleed. I tried several other diaper rash medicines for several days but it didn't go away. Then, I tried Triple Paste Cream and it was gone in like 2 days.

If this does not change, you might want to have her checked out for staph infection.

All the best

i know this sounds gross but when i went to girl scout camp all through my childhood, as a rule, we HAD to take off our bathingsuits after swimming "or you'll get crotch rot".. i know. gross. anyways the damp bathing suit can do not so nice things.. i'd have it looked at to be sure.

any time you spend a lot of time in wet clothes you can break out in a diaper rash - type thing. (I've had a similar problem myself.)

I know it is annoying, but your best bet is to keep her out of a wet bathing suit unless she is actually swimming. Absolutely NO sitting around in wet bathing suit. You'll want to keep applying cream with zinc oxide once she is dry, before bed is a good time.

Hopefully that helps, good luck

thick layer of aquaphor (healing ointment) from eucerin put as often as you can helped my girl in similar case.

I would see a doctor for the problem if the antifungal didn't work...it could be a bacterial infection or a mite.

I agree with Jillian that you may want to have your daughter looked at just to be sure it is nothing more serious; especially since it has been two weeks and they are now sores.

You're doing right by using the creams and she definitely needs to get out of the wet bathing suit (and even underwear) to let some air get to the area. Obviously she can't run around with a bare bum. Do you have an extra pair of men's boxers or a loose pair of shorts that she can change into after swimming?

1 / 3