Swiffer Wet Jet Alternatives

Updated on June 23, 2009
M.D. asks from Hurst, TX

I LOVE the convenience of the Swiffer Wet Jet, but it leaves a film on my floors (wood laminate and tile). Do the other brands leave a film? Please let me know what you've tried and what you think of it. Thanks!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Dallas on

UGH!!!! Me too! I didn't know there were other brands, so I look forward to your responses. Also, just wanted to share . . . when the solution ran out in my Swiffer, I cut a hole in the bottom (which is the top when attached) of the bottle, added a mixture of water and bleach, and put a piece of duct tape over the hole. I continue to use the Wet Jet as so, and there is no more film. Yippee!!!

answers from Abilene on

I, too, have quit using the Swiffer fluid, but only because I'm too cheap! : ) I still use the pads but use an external spray bottle to wet my floor.

I have found that if I mix up a spray bottle (I got mine at Wally for $0.97, or use an empty one from around the house) with Pinesol according to the directions my floor is almost as clean as if I acutally mopped it. I've also started using the mixture for an all purpose cleaner!

I also like this because I have more control over where the cleaning solution goes. The Swiffer could get a little wild! : )

answers from Dallas on

I have used the wetjet mop with the dry sweeper pads, only I've sprayed on a natural, biodegradable cleaner. It is called Basic H2. One 16 oz bottle makes 48 gallons of all-purpose cleaner. To dilute for mopping floors, it says to put 1 tblsp in one gallon of water, so if you break that down, it would be 3/4 tsp in 4 cups water or 3/8 tsp in 2 cups of water. I like the wet jet "refill" idea of the previous poster. If the product streaks, then you need to add more water to the dilution mixture. I love how my floors not only look clean, but *feel* clean after I use it. You can view the product at: http://www.shaklee.net/recipeforhealth/product/00015

answers from Dallas on

I use Melaleuca's Tough & Tender cleaner I use a cloth on a dollar store fake swiffer and spray tough & tender on the floor. It works like a charm and I know that it is safe for my family!
H. M.

answers from Dallas on

I really like the clorox mop! It works great and I haven't ever noticed any time of film or residue from it!

Next question: Washing the Kitchen Floor