Swelling After C-section

Hi Moms, I just had a healthy baby girl by C-section. She came on June 1st late in the night and the last two days my feet have swollen to epic portions. They are worse then they ever were while I was expecting. I knew that my swelling wouldn't be going down imediately but I didn't think it would get this much worse. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make it better or some assurance that it is normal? Thank you in advance!

Thank you all so much for easing my worries. I am slowly starting to de-puff. It is great to have you all to help. I am sure I will have tons more questions as my baby grows. We are doing good so far. Thank you also for all the good wishes!

Totally normal.
Had that with both of my boys and both were born via C-section.
Plus good ol' St. Louis humidity doesn't make the swelling go down any faster.

Congratulations!!

Hello A. , yes you do swell up after a C-Section its perficly normal I had 2. just give it 6 mo. to a yr after the baby was born.

Try keeping your feet elevated when baby is sleeping, you should be resting too. I swelled up pretty bad with my little guy but I had him vaginally. I think its just something that we all end up with in the end. Just relax and keep your feet up. you can try ice packs for a little while if you want, just wrap them in a towel and leave them on your feet and ankles for about 15 minutes at a time. Talk to your doctor to see if there is anything else you can be doing to help out your tootsies. You should tell the doc anyway if your feet are really swollen. Good luck!

:) Mama M.

Swelling is common after birth. I had it too. You should call your doctor and let them know. There is such a thing as eclampsia after birth, which can be dangerous. Until you can see your doc, make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids and try to keep your feet up.

Congratulations on your baby girl!!!!! =D

Congrats on your new miracle! I too had a c-section and experienced swelling. My miracle is now 8 and just celebrated her birthday yesterday. The swelling will go away. Just make sure you are checking your blood pressure and that it is normal. The doctor never could say really why I was swelling he just said that perhaps it was from the anesthesia. At any rate, try not to panic. You will go back to normal....Take care love and best wishes with your new bundle of joy.

I have had two c-sections and swelling afterward is normal...I'm surprised your doctor or nurses didn't explain that to you. I couldn't wear any normal shoes for about a week after. The air that gets trapped in your body during the surgery takes a while to get released. Your shoulders will probably be very sore for a few days too, due to trapped air in them. Was explained to me much more medically but that was 9.5 years ago and that's the gist of it as I remember. Good luck and enjoy your new little one!

Totally normal.

Congratulations!!

Are you doing too much? Eating salty foods? I noticed when would try to do too much, I swelled a lot. Drink tons of water, especially if you are breastfeeding, get some rest, and put those feet up. Of course if its really something you are concerned about, you can always call your doctor. But I was swelled up like the good year blimpe for like 2-3 weeks. I swear I lost like 30 lbs in water weight the first 3 weeks after birth. Also when I had a c-section, they had an IV in me a lot longer than my vaginal birth, which means more fluids they pump into you and the more swelling. Yuk! Good luck and congrats!!!

Hello A.,

The exact thing happened to me when I had my son. My swelling went down after about two weeks. You should have nothing to worry about. But you still should at least let your Dr. know.

Best thing to do is prop your feet up as often as possible... above your heart. I believe that's all I did. I know what it's like. My feet hurt so bad during the swelling, that I couldn't wear shoes.

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't have been anymore help.

ls

1 / 3