Sweaty Armpits

All of my adult life I have sweated a lot under my arms. I don't sweat much elsewhere unless I am actively working out or it is a very hot day. I have used most types of antiperspirant and it really doesn't do much but control odor. (Deodorant alone does not control the odor.) It would be nice to not sweat so much, but it causes a secondary problem that I am more concerned about at this time and that is my shirts get stained at the arm pits. The technician at the dry cleaners' said the stains are from oils in the skin mixing with the sweat. I can't really get the stains out. Any advice on the sweaty armpits or on how to get the stains out of my clothes is appreciated.

Well, I tried most of the suggestions, including the sliced potato. I ended up talking to my doctor about the problem. She perscribed Drysol, and it works great. She also told me she would look for a dermatologist in my area to refer me to for Botox. In the meantime, I am happy to have dry armpits.

My horomones are nuts after childbirth and I sweat like a man who's ran a marathon all the time. I saw a commercial for "Secret Perscription Strength" deodorant. I got some, it as about $9 but I swear, it's working great. I still sweat, but my underarms stay pretty dry and I hardly ever notice any odor. You can get it at any walmart or target. I'd try this before the expensive treatments, it might work for you, and the weather is changing so it might be just enough to get you through. I wish my horomones would chill out, but until they do, Secret is my Secret :)

I used an OTC deodorant for a while, CertainDri, until I got pregnant with my 2nd baby. You put it on at night every couple of days, and it works wonders so you don't sweat as much. You may want to try it out before you go to the heavier-duty fixes, like Botox.

Good Luck.

My Yiayia(grandma) swears that cheap shampoo can get out ANY stain! It has worked wonders for me! Might try it!

You're probably going to laugh when I tell you this...........

But believe it or not an ordinary Idaho potato works well for controlling perspiration and odor. (Told you you'd laugh;-)

BUT IT WORKS!!!

People are often confused when they purchase deodorants and antiperspirants. Deodorants mask odor and do not prevent perspiration. While an antiperspirant keeps you from sweating and some, not all, will also mask odor.

I am allergic to everything under the sun and that includes deodorants. My Great-Grandmother told me about this as a teenager and I've been using it ever since.

How to Use:

Cut off the end of a potato and remove some of the peel. Rub under your arm three or four times just as you would your OTC deodorant. Rinse and cover the potato with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Repeat daily.

To alleviate the underarm stains (which are a chemical reaction between your body's natural oils, soaps, deodorant and sweat) I have found that applying a rub or two of the Spray-n-Wash stain stick after each wear helps keep the yellowing to a minimum.

If this sounds way too out there for you you could try Lavilin Deodorant (mothernature.com) It averages about $15 for 12.5 gram jar. While I've never used it, some say it works very well.

Hope this helps!!
Connie

Good Luck.

My husband stopped using antiperspirant and uses deodorant only because the antiperspirant was causing the staining on his shirt. However, with your excessive sweating, I am not sure if that is your best option. Just a thought.

There is a product recently recommended to me as a tried and true alternative antiperspirant/deodorant and skin cure all called Ammens Original Medicated Powder - it also comes in a specialized version JUST as an antiperspirant. You can view customer reviews, ingredient lists, and order from the following website : http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?bran...

It is a talc powder with the active ingredient being zinc oxide - so basically powered desitin! My daughter has very sensitive skin, eczema, and we are currently battling a mysterious outbreak of KP (keratosis pilaris, otherwise known as "chicken skin") - it has helped immensely where nothing else has, including prescription topical steroid cream. I would recommend it to ANYONE now. There are rave reviews attesting to its deodorant/antiperspirant - it is a fairly cheap to order product, and definitely worth a try!

I use to have the same problem. Sweat would run down the side of body from my armpits. I used every type of deodorant/antiperspirant out there. Every shirt I had was ruined with stains. Finally I started using just a deodorant because I was told the antiperspirant was staining my clothes. Well, I didn't sweat any more that I use to and my clothes stopped staining. About 6 months later a really weird thing happened. I started sweating less. Now I hardly sweat at all. I'm not sure why, but I know some other people this happen to.

I had to try a few deodorants without antiperspirants before I found one that worked (they are difficult to find). The one that works great for me is Herbal Clear from 21stcententuryproducts.com

I have a friend who's sworn he's got extra-toxic sweat who went through every kind of deodorant/antiperspirant he could find looking for something that would work and help with the clothing stains. He swears by one of those simple crystal deodorants. I started using one an have liked it, too -- I think it might with time cut back on sweating (and definitely doesn't stain) since it's not blocking the pores, and works quite well with odor (if you smell anything at the end of a long day it's much milder than the acrid, chemical thing you might expect with antiperspirants). I've tried other natural deodorants and they didn't control odor as well. Good luck!

1 / 3