Swaddling My over 4 Month Old

My son is just over 4 months old and will not fall/stay asleep without swaddling. I tried tonight and he fell asleep a number of times but continued to wake up. This went on for 2 hours before I broke down and swaddled him after which he stayed asleep all through the night. Should his need to be swaddled be of any concern to me and any ideas on how to brake him of it?

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who responded to my request. I was concerned about the swaddling as my oldest only wanted to be for a couple weeks and I hadn't heard of a baby wanting it for this long. You have all helped me have better peace of mind! Thanks again.

I was right there with you! We swaddled my son until he was about 8 months old! I took one arm out at a time, until finally trying it without,and all went well. He's not been damaged by being swaddled so long. He's now almost 3! Don't worry!

Hello!

I don't think that you have anything to be concerned with. I swaddled my daughter until she was pretty old. I can't remember exactly, but I think she was about 8-9 mos. old. Once she got more mobile and was able break out of it no matter how tight I swaddled her is when I quit. I had tried to stop a few times before that as well, but for some reason she needed the extra comfort. She slept better swaddled and has continued to be a good sleeper since. I think he will let you know when he is ready to be done with it. Good Luck!!

Some children just need the comfort. Try swaddling a little losser each time eventually he should get over it. I don'y swaddl emy son but I tuck the blanket around him tightly as he moves it gets losser, but he tends to fall asleep before he is completly untucked.

http://www.adviceforbaby.com/swaddling.htm has some good suggestions on how to swaddle, and even suggests doing this for a longer period than just newborn. It suggests this in other articles online, just type swaddling in google and you'll get a bunch of things to read.

I think some babies need more security than others. This article suggests that if you only do this for night time then the child will accept the fact that it is time to sleep for a longer period. Just read up, and do what your baby responds to. You will get lots of opinions, but you are ultimately the best decision maker for your baby.

We swaddled our daughter until she was 8 months old! It is definitely not a big deal, although we had to find a different way to swaddle her when she got that big. When you are ready to wean him from swaddling, I would start with loosening the blankets/swaddler for a few days then one arm out, then the other arm. It seemed like my daughter would never be able to sleep without the swaddler, but it only took about a week and she was swaddle-free. I would keep doing it if you and your son want to continue. They have some really nice swaddlers for bigger babies (I looked forever!) at snugandtug.com - they are the only place I could find that had swaddlers for babies 3-6 months (I actually used it til 8 months). Good luck!

We swaddled my 2nd daughter until she was 7 months (and was getting too big for the blankets.) She just needed it. Even now she loves physical touch more than my others. You can't hug her too tightly. It is just impossible. So, I wouldn't worry. Some kids just need that comfort of being held tightly. When you are ready to break him of it, be ready for a few sleepless nights, but know it will pass and he (and you) will be just fine!

Swaddle at night but not surring the day then after a while he'll be to big for the swaddling at night as well but be used to the feeling of sleep as you have his used to it during the day. We did this with our youngest now almost 4 and made it through great! Now if someone could tell me how to be beyond the terrible 2's that have continued for far too long!!!

God makes every child different and unique in there own loving beautiful way.

When my children were smaller, I let them show me when enough was enough. Both my babies were two totally different children! Opposites to the max! My son was first and he didn't want to be held at all. he just wanted to check things out on his own. Our daughter, on the other hand need that extra love and always got it.

Let your children be your guide. When they are that young, they let you know by simply doing what your son did. You swaddled him, he sleeps through the night. You don't swaddle him, he gets up. He's just not ready for that. He'll let you know! They always do. When he starts getting up becasue you swaddled him is when it would be time to try something new.

You can never love or let your children know they are loved too much.

God Bless,

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

I would go ahead and keep swaddling him. There's no harm, and he'll eventually grow out of it on his own.

C.,

It is unusual for a child that old to want to be swaddled, especially if he was not severely premature. But if that is what he wants, it isn't going to hurt him. I would keep doing it until he signals that he doesn't want it anymore.

Hello!

1 / 3