Super Heros for a 4 Year Old

My 4 year old son LOVES superheros. He got this from his friends at school. He had a spiderman and a batman party for his 4th birthday. He also likes iron man and transformers. He likes all of this despite never seeing a super hero show! he keeps asking me when he can get some super hero movies. His movies consist of disney and scooby doo right now. I'm wondering if there are any DVDs out there appropriate for his age. I read a lot of reviews on amazon and they all say they are for older kids. I of course would watch it before I let him, but I don't want to waste any money here. I saw a spiderman dvd the other day where he looked more like a spiderman for preschoolers. Just wanted to get some opions and suggestions, thanks!

Have you checked out The Incredibles? It's animated and fun.

Hi there! I have a 5 month old and a 19.5 month old... the older one loves the Disney & Pixar movies (Meet the Robinsons and Ratatoullie are his FAVES) and my next try was going to be The Incredibles... he seemed to be grabbed by the previews when we were watching another video. Anyway - just a thought - they're super heros, though not the Batman/Robin kind... Good luck! :) E.

I know there is a transformers animated tv show now, but I have never seen it. They have it on DVD at Target. Several years ago, there were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (called Hero Turtles outside the US) and the Power Rangers, and those are also geared to the young. But at their core, every major superhero has a "dark side" and most are the invention of some sad middle-aged man who feels the need to create an alter ego to help him have some sort of control over his life. I have seen The Incredibles and I thought it was awesome, but very dark for a typical 4y.o. (but only you know your child and how he might react). Maybe a fun activity would be to have your child invent his OWN superhero. You could really get some insight into what your child is thinking and what is important to him. You could help your boy create a new hero by drawing it or putting together a homemade costume. And he could make up the "backstory" and you could write it down, and then you'd have your own book to read and he could create new adventures from there. Just a thought. Enjoy this time while they are so creative!

I never thought of that..Me and my mom were just chatting about how all the Shrek movies are really more for adults. I let my son watch all of those..I personally watched them a kid..Transformers is awesome! We've watched all 3 spiderman movies together. I watch batman the brave and the bold, and iron man and ben 10 with him...I will say yes, they are quite advanced and more for 8 year olds, but it's the younger kids that love them.

My suggestion would be to go to the library and borrow the movies that you want to try and watch them and if you feel they are appropriate for him, then you can go buy them. Otherwise, see if your friends might have some superhero movies you could watch for that purpose... My opinon at that age would be more along the lines of the little einsteins who are always being the super hero in their show and it is totally preschooler appropriate.

1 / 3