Super Fine Hair, What Kind of Rubber Bands?!

My little girl has just turned one and finally has enough hair to make one of those little baby pony tails on the top of her head. She has super fine hair and I am concerned about what kind of pony tail holder or rubber band do you use that is small enough for a baby, but will still do its job of holding the hair and not damage it?

Other moms, please give me some ideas!

Thank you so much for your responses! Coming from a mom with super thick horse hair, I had no idea what to do!

YOu could try the little bands that stretch. They are multi-colored and seem too tiny to use. I use clips for my daughter's hair. I found them at Target. They are the kind that you push the middle to open and then pushit together to close. They only cost $1.99, by Goody. They were with the hairbrushes and such, not the infant section. You could probably find the little runber bands there too.

Not sure about rubber bands, but if you want to put a pretty clip in her hair -- try the "No Slippy Hair Clippy." I think they have a website.

Both my girls had really fine hair like mine when young. The only thing that would stay in their hair were regular rubber bands for hair. I just cut them out each night. A pack only costs $1 and I could afford to cut them out every night. I didn't put them super tight, but tight enough to hold their hair in place.

fine hair is going to break anyway so it's not a real big deal. I never put rubber bands in my hair it is always broken at different lengths all over my head. It just won't stay neat.

D.,
You can find very good rubber bands that will not damage the hair and are small at Sally Beauty Supply, they are clear rubber and small in diameter. They apply less pressure to the hair, you may need to cut them out but maybe not. But thet do not break the hair.Good luck.A.

I have the same problem with my duaghter!

Meijer and Walmart both sell packs of rubber bands that are about a 1/3" in diameter. Wrap them around a few times and you should be okay. I cut them out of her hair when she is done, trying to avoid damaging her hair. (They are only 3 or 4 dollars for a couple hundred.)

These are the only ones that I have found work for us.

At Meijer they are in the general hair merchandise section - but look for an area that has kids items. In Walmart they are in the girls section (size 6 + department) on a rack with the hair products.

Hello D.-
I had the same problem. Ari (2 1/2) still has very fine hair. The tiny rubber bands mentioned really do work -yes you will have to cut them off - It's the only thing that works for her.
Well at least they aren't expensive.

I spent good money on other pony tail holders and barrettes for both my girls. Until my other daughter's hair started to thicken (sometime between 3 and 4 years old) they seemed to be they only things that worked.

1 / 3