Suntan Lotion Recommendation for Infant

I was just wondering what others' preferred suntan lotion brands were for 1 year old children. Thanks!

I prefer Sun Sunscreen from Alba Botanicals. It comes in Sport, Kids and Facial. I use any of them on myself and my children. A children's sunscreen doesn't have to specially made for children (it's more a marketing thing since there's really no difference between them and regular sunscreens). The Alba products offer broad-spectrum UVB and UVA protection (to get this look for a product with avobenzone, titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide). They are also PABA free and paraben free (PABA's often cause skin irritations and parabens are a chemical preservative that has estrogen-like effects and have literally been found in breast cancer tumors). The Alba products are also water resistant. They come in an SPF up to 32. I try to stay away from the sprays because they contain a lot of alcohol, which dries out my kids skin.

I highly recommend the California Baby SPF 30 sunscreen. We have to use all of their products exclusively because of my son's eczema. They use no dyes, PABA, or fragrance, and are hypoallergenic (and "green"). You can buy at Target.

I used California Baby brand on my daughter and will use it again on the next one (due next month!). You can get it online or at Target.

-K.

Hi Blair- I have a lot of information on this topic. I was diagnosed with skin cancer last year and researched for the entire summer looking for the best protection and things I can do to protect myself and my family. Please feel free to call me at ###-###-#### and I will be happy to share more than I can here. The first thing to know is that many sunscreens contain ingredients that are harmful to you when absorbed into your skin. The worst ingredient is called octynoxate and is in almost every one. Look for a mineral based sun screen containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. I use Sunshades by Melaleuca.All of their products are non toxic. Even the skin care center I go to recommends mineral sunscreen. Another good one is Blue Lizard for sensitive skin. It also does not contain octynoxate. Also, don't be fooled by claims of being waterproof or spf 50. Nothing is waterproof- if so, you would never get it off! Always reapply after being in the water. And many studies show that an spf of 50 is no more protective than an spf of 30 so don't spend more money there. The big key is moderation. Enjoy being outside in the morning and late afternoon and try your best to avoid mid-day sun. Even a little unprotected sun exposure in the morning is good for you. Get him some cute hats and maybe even the ones with the flaps. I have more I can share but I am a faster talker than typer so call me if you would like to hear more...

Arbonne Baby Care Products are phenomenal! Go to www.arbonne.com. The product line is called "ABC." I've used it on my daughter since she was born and she has yet to be burned, even at the beach! Good luck!

Blue Lizard is the best. It was developed in Australia and as a result must adhere to their sunscreen standards which are much more strict than ours. It contains 10% Zinc Oxide and 5% Titanium Dioxide - more than any other sunscreen out there. Both are physical barriers to UVA/UVB rays, which means that they start blocking harmful rays immediately. It's still a good idea to apply 20 minutes before you head out in the sun, but if you forget, no need to worry, because it works immediately. It is also the most water resistant out there - an average of 240 minutes as opposed to the average of 80 minutes for every other sunscreen - but still reapply after being in the water, no matter how long its been. It's fragrance free, hypo-allergenic and non-greasy. You can find it at CVS or online at www.coolibar.com or www.drugstore.com It comes in a baby formula, but the sensitive has the very same ingredients so either works great. Ever since I've been applying sunscreen to my daughter, I've always made it sound like a fun thing to do. She's 27 months old now and loves to put on sunscreen lotion.

We used Coppertone Sport spray last summer and loved it. I tried other sprays and they were oily and messy. My kids have fair skin and light colored hair. For my son who turns 2 this summer, I worried about his head burning since he had little hair and would not keep a hat on. This spray allowed me to cover his face and spray his head. I would spray some in my hand and rub it on his face or use WaterBabies stick to sunscreen his face. The spray and stick made it fast and easy - he would stand still only so long!

Arbonne has an amazing baby line ABC and there is a sunscreen in there. I have my own homebased business with Arbonne and that's how I know. You can look at the products on my site and call me if you have any questions.

Angela Briggs
Area Manager
Arbonne International
www.abriggs.myarbonne.com

Water Babies for a child that young with a SPF of 50 . It now comes in a spray that is great - no mess. Just make sure you cover his eyes before you begin to spray

1 / 3