Sunscreen for 1 Year Old

We were at my parent's lakehouse last weekend and we slathered on the sunscreen. We used Aveeno Baby. When we came home we noticed that she had a rash on her legs. I don't know if it is correlated to the sunscreen (haven't used it since and it has gone away) but I know that my daughter has very sensitive skin/excema. Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen for us to use? Thanks!

I always used Water Babies (the pink bottle) by Coppertone for my older kids when they were little. One of my girls had really bad eczema on her legs and occasionally her arms and it was irritated by lotions and such. She never had a problem with the sunscreen. Luckily the eczema went away when she was around 6 yrs old. And now Water Babies comes in SPF 50.

I just discussed this with my dermatologist (however you spell it) and she uses Blue Lizard on her daughter. Don't think you'll get any kind of tan with it. I think it's a zinc oxide kind of lotion. She also uses neutrogena (i think I am drawing a blank) that has the uva AND uvb bradband spectrum.

We had the exact same situation! We usually use a sunblock from Whole Foods, but I ran out and was at Target and bought that new Aveeno Baby sunscreen... well... you would have thought that my daughter (also 12 months old) had a major skin disease! She had a rash all over her body, but it was the worst on her legs. I stopped using it and bought our usual sunblock and now it's gone...
I can't think of the brand name, but at Whole Foods it's in the sunscreen section, it's for kids, it's a Mineral sunblock, SPF 30... works great. My 4 year old son and daughter both have sensitive skin/excema and we've never had a problem with it.

My 2 kids had the same problem when they were young. They are now 12 and 16 and outgrew the sensitivity when adolesence kicked in. The higher the spf in the sunscreen the worse the problem is. Coppertone sunscreen for babies was the worst. I found a product made in Canada but can be bought here called OMBRELLE worked with no skin sensitivity. The spf was 30 which is more than enough for a one year. Actually dermatologists do not recommend anything higher than an spf of 30. If you child burns after wearing spf of 30 then he or she has been in the sun too long or the sunscreen needs reapplying. Unfortunately sunscreen advertisers have us convinced that the higher the spf (and cost) the better protection. Not so according to my mother's oncologist who is treating her for melanoma. My mother rarely even went in the sun. But it was good to get the right information. Hopes this helps you. The rash usually takes a week to go away. Oatmeal baths help too.

Hi M. Talk do you daughter's doctor to see what is best to put on her tender skin. Some of these over the counter sunscreen could be harmful for her at such a young age.

Use Vanacream for sensitive skin sunscreen.you can often find their products at Walgreens in the pharmacy section, online at vanacream.com or Walgreens can order it for you.

We use banana boat for baby. My 1 year old son hasn't had any issues. It's not sticky and doesn't smell at all.

California Baby makes a really good sunscreen that is all natural/chemical free, it is more expensive that others - about $18.00/bottle, but it is great - our daughter has really sensitive skin & excema too and she has no problems with it. Target sells it, and the website to check it out/order direct is www.californiababy.com Good luck! :)

Our pediactic dermatologist recommends Blue Lizard. You might be able to find it in stores, but I've always bought it online. Both my children have escema and have never had any reaction to it.

1 / 3