Sunscreen - Novato, CA

Taking our 11 month old to the beach and want to know if anyone has sunscreen tips and recommendations. Do you put it on their face even though they might rub it in their eyes? On their hands? SPF 30? He won’t be in the sun much but I would hate for him to get burnt when we take him in the water. The sun is so strong these days even just a few minutes in the sun and I worry.

look up COOLIBAR swimsuits. they are total body suits. one of those and a sun hat and you don't need sunscreen at all. last summer i used it for the beach with my 9m month old and plan to use one this year too. they are cool for them and dry fast!
peace,

My pediatrician recommended NO sunscreen for babies under 1 yr, too many chemicals. Just cover them in clothing and expose to sun as little as possible.

Cheers

Hi J., i absolutley LOVE Aveen baby spf 50! its recommended that you put on a 50 spf or higher all over the body face and ears. i like this one in particular because of the ingredients, hih!

I would use a natural sunscreen as opposed to a chemical one. They usually contain zinc and titanium dioxide. California baby makes one. Natural sunscreen works right away, no need to apply 30 min. before sun exposure.

Cheers

Hi, J. C--

Here is what the good doctor says about the use of sunscreen or sunblock:

Sunblock Can Actually Increase Your Cancer Risk
By Dr. Joseph Mercola

The rising rate of skin cancer has put using sunblock right up there with flossing your teeth when it comes to healthy habits. In 2002, 50 percent-- approximately 1.1 million cases--of all cancers in the United States were skin cancers, of which nearly 10,000 cases were fatal. It is easy to understand why many people have become fearful of the sun's warmth and glow.

However, it is not commonly appreciated, especially among traditional medical doctors, that the food you eat is far more important to the development of skin cancers than sun exposure.

At the beginning of 1900 we had very little processed vegetable oils in our diet. Now vegetables are great and we all need them every day, but when they are processed and refined and consumed in large amounts they can cause major health problems.

Most vegetables are very high in omega-6 fats. In the last 100 years the U.S. population has gone from consuming virtually no vegetable fats to consuming more than 70 pounds per year. Fats from corn oil, safflower, sunflower, sesame and other oils are virtually 100 percent omega-6 fats.

This high consumption of omega-6 fats totally distorts the important omega 6:3 ratio, and this ratio is one of the keys to obtaining any type of cancer, but especially skin cancer.

So not only will we benefit from consuming additional omega-3 fats, but it is vital to reduce the omega-6 vegetable oils as much as possible. Ideally, the ratio should be 1:1, but most Americans have a 15:1 ratio. The Japanese are the longest-lived culture on earth, and their ratio is about 3:1.

If you don’t believe me on this one, I encourage you to check out one of the top cancer journal articles Cancer Res 2000 Aug 1;60(15):4139-45:

"Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate omega-6 fat as stimulators and long-chain omega-3 fats as inhibitors of development and progression of a range of human cancers, including melanoma."

Ten years ago an Australian study showed a 40 percent reduction in melanoma for those who were eating fish--and this was without any attention to lowering omega-6 fats.

Two years ago, the prestigious National Academy of Sciences published a comprehensive review showing that the omega 6:3 ratio was the key to preventing skin cancer development.

So, do I recommend you pop some fish oil pills and go out and get as much sun as you would like?

Absolutely not.

You must exercise caution. At the beginning of the season go out gradually, perhaps as little as 10 minutes a day. Progressively increase your time in the sun so that in a few weeks, you will be able to have normal sun exposure with little risk of skin cancer.

Remember never to get burned, that is the key.

Remember also never to use sunscreen, another key. You can creatively use your clothing to block the sun’s rays during your build-up time.

The bottom line is: please avoid getting sucked into the hype that sunlight is dangerous. It is only dangerous if you are clueless about fat nutrition, which most medical doctors are. If you choose to ignore your omega 6:3 ratio and stay out of the sun, you could limit your risk of skin cancer, but is that worth the risk of getting MS, breast or prostate cancer?

I think not.

So get yourself some high-quality fish oil, which is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. I like Carlson’s fish oil because out of all the brands I’ve tested, Carlson’s came out superior in freshness, purity and potency--and it is available in most all health food stores. If you are unable to find it in a health food store, you can find it in our Web site store. I like the fish oil liquid, as it is easier to take than the five to 10 pills you would need to get the same amount of omega-3.

Please remember to switch to the cod liver oil, which contains vitamin D, in the fall, as then you will not be able to get the wonderful amount of sunshine that we have in the summer. If you are going to be a hermit and not get any sun exposure this summer or you are going to bury yourself in dangerous sunscreens, then you should switch to cod liver oil now.

E. C

peace,

There is a new screen screen out this year that is tear free. I tis great. I got it in a pink tube. I use it on my 7 month old, 3 years old, 7 years old, adn myself!! Got it at Longs and I think babies r us has it too.

California Baby (sold at target) makes a nice sunscreen stick, put it all over his face (not in eye area) and have him wear a hat that has one of the flaps in the back that covers his neck. he may even be willing to wear baby sunglasses. You can put him in a tee shirt or one of the water shirts. but first cover him with sun screen, again california baby has a nice one, and we also use a couple of others that are for babies, You are right to keep your baby covered in the sun. Good for you

We use Coppertone Baby SPF 50 on our 23-month old--the lotion on her body and the stick (kinda greasy) on her face. When she was about a year, she rubbed some of the lotion from the back of her hand into her eye and had a red puffy eye, so now I barely put any on the back of her hands. I'll put more on as she gets a little older and will know to be careful about rubbing her eyes. The other mistake I made was not rubbing the stick everywhere on her face the day we went to the beach last year (also about 1 year old). She looked sick the next day because she got burnt right under her eyes! So now I have her hold very still while I smooth a bit up under her eye with my finger. It does get easier--putting sunscreen on babies--as I have just kept up the habit to save her from burning every time we go to the park, swimming, etc. Anytime she'll be in the sun for more than 5 minutes, she is covered! And she doesn't mind the application, because I talk to her about how much fun we're going to have once we get ready to go outside! Good luck with the beach trip--our baby had a blast at age one. :)

I buy the Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-touch sunblock. It is SPF 55. I would also recommend buying a sunshirt for your son. That eliminates you having to put sunscreen all over his front and back...just put some on his arms below the sleeves. Make sure to get his ears...my son ears seem to burn easily. :-)

1 / 3