Summer Camp - Haverhill,MA

Does anyone have any good reports of a happy summer "camp" experience in the Haverhill area - specifically for the younger 5 and 6 year old crowd? Sad to say, but I'm already scouting out for next summer. We didn't have a good experience this year, and I thought maybe I could tour a few places while camp was still happening. We tried the Haverhill Y camps for preschoolers, but the staff are just high school kids who don't have a clue about the needs of a little one. They treat all the kids like they are 9 years old, and can just lug a 25 pound backpack around and don't need help tying their shoelaces - if you get my drift. They don't realize you have to give this kids 20 extra minutes to get their bathing suits on, tell them to drink their water so they don't dehydrate, etc., etc., - basically hold their hand. Something that a typical preschool/daycare teacher would know in a heartbeat. But I'm hoping to find a place that can accommodate both my little one (who will be 6) and interest my older child (who will be 9). Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Hi L., We have had really good luck for 5 summers now with the Lawrence YWCA camp on Captain's Pond in Salem. My youngest started summer between first and second grade. Both kids love it, they are now 10 and 12. 12 is the cut off age. Lots of great activities. We have also done club invention (you can google them) they move around the area schools depending on who is hosting, but that was also a great experience. They went to Spinner's Baseball camp this summer and that was just a wonderful program, but it is only 3 days, Wed, Thurs, Friday and you get 4 tickets per kid to the Friday night game. Turned out to be a great time all the way around. Good luck!

In Haverhill you can look into Cedardale, they have camps all summer long...I think the counselors might be a bit older. They Y in Andover/North Andover also have camps. I know that the Mother Connection is in the progress of putting together a pamphlet of camps for next year...also doing a camp fair. You might want to keep an eye on that. I don't know if you are a member...www.themotherconnection.org.

H. Z. (assistant editor of TMC and SAHM to three boys 5, 3 3/4 and 14 months old)

My daughter is 4 1/2 this summer and had a great experience at Brooks School summer camp this year in North Andover. They do some great things, seems really organized and she liked her counselors. Last year she did the camp at Cedardale and also had a good experience.

Hi L.

I don't know if your girls are interested in dance but Nancy Chippendale's Dance Studios has an all day summer camp monday-friday 9-2pm (starting next summer). It includes dance classes, games, crafts, cheering, tumbling, snacks, face painting, movies and all other sorts of other things. This is a great camp for girls because the student teachers are really great role models for their younger students. (I am the director of the summer program). Please feel free to visit our website for more information or call us ###-###-#### www.nancychippendalesdancestudios.com

We are also accepting fall registrations. Love to see you and the girls at Open House Wednesday September 3rd 4-8pm

-K.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

Summer Camps a brooks day camps