Suggestions on Crayons/Markers

Hello,

I have boy/girl twins they just turned one years old. Yeah made it through the first year!!! My son wants to color on paper or anything he can. I am not sure if this is early but he will take a crayon, marker or something that may look like a pen and try to color on paper. He actually holds the marker correctly. He has such a great time. I am looking for suggestions on what I can purchase to enhance his abilities and not have my walls and floors marked.

Thank you!!

I have two boys,2yrs and 3yrs old (only 12 months apart)

For markers we use Crayola Color Wonder. They only color on the special paper it comes with. you can also get finger paints, and Paint-in-brush from Color wonder, but are a little more messy.

in the warmer months I use Crayola Washable finger paint. It wipes right off kids, walls, (T.v.s) like magic. I would strip my boys down to diapers and let them paint outside on butcher paper.

for crayons we use Crayola Washables. They come in a varity of shapes and sizes and my boys love them.

chalk is also really fun to use on constructon paper.

Also, I use Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pads, (better and cheeper than Mr clean Magic Erasers) they will get (almost) any product off of walls, floors, etc..

From one twins mom to another, WASHABLE, WASHABLE, WASHABLE....

Congrats on making it through the 1st year. It gets harder as you go along, but in different ways. Mine are 9 now and girls... But all worth it..

Need any more twins advice, let me know. Trish

Crayola makes an art set where the markers will ONLY write on the special paper. That way he can get as creative as he wants, and you have no worries about tables, walls, etc.

My boys were very creative at a very young age also. They are only 18 months apart so keeping them busy at the same time was often fun! There are all kinds of coloring type things out there that are washable so if they do happen to get any on walls then it does come off. Most childrens things now days are non toxic so I don't think they can hurt them selves other than trying to swallow them.

You just have to make sure you give them plenty to color on that is "OK" so they don't get it in them to wander.
You definitly have to from the start let them know also what is "ok" to draw on and what is "NOT OK". I made sure from the start and kept an eye on them.
Good luck with the twins!

I would go with the old school fat crayons like we had in kidergarten - they help develop the hand muscles. A big roll of butcher paper is great and a supply of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers for when they forget to use the paper. The "washable" markers do not wash off wood, tile grout, some fabrics, skin or leather - I have a lime green dinosaur on my custom leather ottoman to prove it.
DO NOT LEAVE crayons in your car - unless they're in a baggie or box - they can melt and are a pain to clean up. Crayons in the dryer are a challenge too - I've learned to check pockets ;)
The Doodle Pro thingies are fabulous - great for car trips, restaurants, waiting rooms and are fairly indestructable. My son is almost 4 and still prefers the doodle thing over his expensive Leap Frog video games.
You can teach the tykes to only color on paper by taking the art supplies away if they stray onto a forbidden surface. My son caught on quick when I threw away all of his markers after the ottoman incident. He still marks once in awhile on a wall, etc. but we make him clean it up and put his art stuff away for a week. Sidewalk chalk is a huge hit too!
THe other problem with markers are the dang caps - they constantly get lost and then the pen dries up. My son is just now getting the hang of replacing the caps at age 4.
Anyway - that's my 2 cents - I'll send you a bill. ;)

Crayola has washable markers and crayons that work on walls and floors, but not so washable on upholstery so watch your couch

Try Crayola Color Wonder. It only marks on the special paper for the markers! Just make sure coloring time is supervised so the markers don't end up in the mouths of babes, lol. My daughter loved coloring very young, and was duplicating letters by 3.5 years old. Have fun!

T. Solar
Founder
www.theparentpack.org

Crayola has a great washable line. They have pens, crayons, and paints. They are all great and they truly are washable.
Happy coloring!

Crayola has great art sets that have markers that only work on the special paper you get with the kit. They have stamps as well. That would be the best idea for your kids since they are still so young. With crayons, you really have to be careful because they like to eat them (or at least try) up until they are almost 3...

1 / 3