Suggestions Needed for Removing Plastic from Ceramic Cooktop

In the hustle and bustle of having an active 4 month old, I accidentally melted my plastic tongs onto my ceramic cooktop by turning the eye of the stove on where the tongs were laying. I don't know how to remove the melted on plastic without damaging the cooktop. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to remove that plastic without damaging the cooktop? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the warm words of encouragement. I reread your words of encouragement any time I regress into trying to be superwoman. They snap me back to reality that I need to concentrate and spend more time with my little one because they are not this little for long. Everything else can wait.

We adapted your suggestions by removing the plastic from the ceramic stovetop using a little heat and a butter knife. Thank you again for all your suggestions.

Try a hair dryer....it works great with candle wax on carpet, stickers on cars and windows, gum......

I don't know if it would work on the left over residue after scraping, but we've had better success using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with our ceramic top than using the cleaner that came with it. I always rinse with water before cooking again.

I have done this before more than once and I use a razor blade. but remember to scrape at an angle very lightly and slowly.

I have done this before, but with a plastic grocery bag, and had great luck removing it with a flat one-sided razor blade. The one I have has a handle and a little lever to push the blade out. This tool is a must when you have a ceramic cooktop. Anyways, try removing it while it is cold...If it doesn't come up, heat the surface a little at a time for best results. There is also a ceramic cooktop paste that they sell at Lowes that will get the rest of the residue off and leave the surface nice and clean!
Best of luck...It happens! LOL

Scrap it off with a razor blade (carefully) and then use your cooktop cleaner to clean off the rest.

I melted a plastic container to ours and boy did it smell. My husband found a cleaner at I believe Home Depot for cleaning ceramic stovetops it had a scraper with it and it took it right off. I was amazed how nice the stove top looked when he was through cleaning it.

T. - Try plaing ice on top and scraping it with a scraper.

Heat it slowly and not too much and scrap it off with a spatula (sp) It might smell a little but it should come off.
C. B

1 / 3