Suggestions for Severe Diaper Rash from Diarrhea

My 8-month-old daughter is having a bout of diarrhea and she has a pretty severe diaper rash as a result. I'm worried that she'll have diarrhea in the night and that when I get her up in the morning her diaper rash will be so much worse. Do you think I should try to change her diaper in the middle of the night and risk waking her up? I might have a hard time getting her back to sleep if I do that, but I'm worried that if I don't, her diaper rash will be 10x worse!?

Thank you moms for all the great advice and for your kind and reassuring words. I know diaper rash is a fact of life, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with does it? :-) I did end up changing the baby's diaper in the middle of the night last night because when I went to check on her, I could see that diarrhea had soaked through her night suit. Even though she was sleeping so peacefully, I just couldn't let her lay in that for the rest of the night. After changing her and putting a good coating of Triple Paste on her, she fell back to sleep pretty easily. So far tonight, she's passed the "sniff test" when I've checked on her and I don't see anything soaked through her night clothes. Hopefully the worst of the diarrhea is over and now we can work on healing the diaper rash! Everyone had such great suggestions, and some I've never heard of. I might actually try the Crisco since I happen to have some on hand. I might try the Paladin cream too. I guess parenting is really just a lot of educated guessing and trial and error, huh? Thankfully there are a lot of other moms out there like you guys who are willing to share their knowledge to help make life a little easier for us "first-timers!" Maybe someday I'll be able to "pay it forward" to some other first-time moms! :)

A., my son had very sensitive skin and diarrhea wa terrible for him. His doctor said to use crisco (solid, not oil) on his bottom. It worked. My daugher-in- law used it on her kid and couldn't believe it. It creates a barrier between the baby's skin and the diarrhea. Good luck! P.

When its really bad you should not wipe at all, put her under the sink and rinse. The wiping could cause bleeding. I like butt paste the best. If it doesn't heal up quickly (like a day or 2)it might be a yeast infection and you should call the doctor.
As far as changing at night goes, I have changed my son at night before without waking him. I didn't do that great of a job, just basically got the dirty diaper off and manged to get a new one on. Get a flash light ready and check her. If she needs it go ahead and give it a try. Just try to be as sneaky as possible and don't put pjs on her that are a onesie.

use a regular wet wash cloth on her when you clean her. using baby wipes all the time can dry out her skin. try butt paste made by bordeaux it comes in a yellow box with a cartoon picture of a baby on it. make sure to clean off the old diaper cream and all with a wash cloth each and every time you change her so there is no bacteria there. i would also make sure she is staying hydrated. i do not know if she is too young for pedialite. i hope you ask the doctor about her diarrhea if it does not get better in a couple days.

HI A., Sorry bout your little guy, I swear by vasaline at night and i swear by meticated corn starch powder during the day. When your cleaning him use a wet wash cloth to clean his bottom wipes will make it worse and no if she is not fussing at night don't wake her, she will let you know when she needs changed or is sore. To avoid worries lather her bottom up with as much as you want vasaline.. She'll be fine in the morning!! Try triple paste if that does not work, it's aliitle thick though.Good Luck

I have an 11 year old daughter and 2 year old son... the thing that i have found that worked/works for me is to bathe your daughter more often - twice a day if necessary. And also, Berts Beeswax diaper ointment is awesome! It's like the old version of desitin where it is an ointment instead of a cream. It will work as a better barrier between her bottom and the diaper.

I know exactly what you are going through when my oldest daughter (now 11) was small she as well had a terrible diaper rash the doctors gave her 5 different creams and none of which worked. I was visiting family who are dairy farmers and my Aunt told me to use Bag Balm which is used on the cows teats I was appalled, but to the point I would try anything so I called the Dr. and he agreed I should try it and low and behold if it didn't clear it up in 24 hours! You can get Bag Balm in any drug store it comes in a square green can with a picture of a cow on it. It's not any more expensive than desatin. Good Luck.

We love Bordeaux's Butt Paste. It took a day or two to clear up my son's diaper rash, but it worked really well. Good luck!

You should be able to smell it through her night clothes without waking her up. If it does happen, soak her rear in warm water mixed with baking soda {it neutralizes the acids and stuff in the poop} Let her rump go diaper free as much as possible, use only water wipes, and triple paste. This all comming from my ped. when it happend to us. It worked wonders for us. Good luck dear. :]

1 / 3