Suggestions for an Infant Formula That Tastes like Breastmilk

Hi Everyone!

I have a 6 mo old daughter, and I will be going back to work soon. I will be pumping at work, but I want to supplement her with some formula during the day b/c my breastmilk doesn't seem to keep good very long in the fridge or freezer, so I can't really stock up. I tasted some of the brands that came free in the mail, and they have a real heavy iron taste or something! I thought maybe it was just me, but my little girl spit it out when I tried to give it to her. It really tastes SO different than breast milk.

Do you know of any brands that don't have a real strong taste? Have you had success with gong from breast milk to formula?

Thanks so much!,

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for your quick response! To answer the question about if my milk is really going bad, well, I hope this isn't gross, but I have tasted my milk when it is fresh, and it tastes like plain sugar water, but after a day in the fridge, it tastes a little spoiled. I wouldn't want to drink it, and my daughter makes a sour face. Unless babies have muted taste buds, I would think if it tastes bad to me, then it tastes bad to her. What do you think? Also, I put the frozen BM on the freezer door. When I thaw it out under hot water, it tastes also the same way except a little worse. I guess a bit metallic tasting plus a little sour. Again, I wouldn't drink it.

Also, she still eats about every 3 hours, sometimes more often when she wants to sleep and is cranky. (She demands the breast every 3 hours in the night too...maybe this is just for comfort...??). When I pump, I get about 4.5 oz total in the morning and about 3 oz in the day. Maybe I am not getting enough at one time, so she wants to feed frequently. She is gaining weight fine, but again I feed her very frequently.

I plan to pump at work and still BF when I get home, and then I guess she can have mostly formula during the day ( and any fresh BM that I pumped in the morning). Does this sound feasible?

You are all so awesome! This is my first time ever posting a question and I am sooo happy to have other mothers to give me advice.

Thanks again,

L. S.

I went through 8 formulas before my son would accept any after breastfeeding for 9 months. The only one he liked was Infamil AR. They say breast milk is like drinking a milkshake and so hard to compare ;) Good luck. I know how fustrating it can be.

I had the same problem. It is a harmless excess of the enzyme lipase. Here is the link that should address the issues. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

May not be easy to do at work but maybe you could pump after the morning feed before work. I applaud your interest to continue breastfeeding while going back to work! A La Leche leader could also help give you some suggestions and ways to make it work.

A.

Your breast milk is not going bad. It can last for quite a while 3-5 days in the fridge and 3-6 months in the freezer. My son was a preemie and never breastfed - he got everything from a bottle and I pumped for him even after going back to work. I froze tons of breast milk and even after I decided to wean him from the breast milk I still had a ton in my freezer to feed him for quite a while after I stopped pumping. If you are stopping for personal reasons that is fine but don't stop just because you are going back to work and you think it will go bad. You can still pump and save it all. Good luck!

Congrats!! I have 2 girls.. I did breastfeed for 6 months with first child. I breastfed for 2 months for second child and now I just pump. I give my child stored milk from freezer and she loves it. I place frozen container in steaming hot water like a tall tupperware and let it sit until it is defrosted. I make sure it is warm and place it in bottle. My babies love it. I use the advent plastic small containers. They come already sterilized and wrapped appropriately 30 pack. I think. They stack on top of each other. I try to give breast milk during day and formula at night. So, she will sleep thru the night and it works. Same w/ my first girl. The more I pump the more milk i supply. I do store the milk in freezer. It can be in freezer up to 5 months as per my pediatrician as well as my Lactation consultant. Also, I do supplement. I use Similac Advanced the powder. It is normal for your child to spit up she has to get use to it. Also, I use Diapers.com to have it delivered to the house since u will be working. Easier..that way. I hope this helped u. Also, As an adult I wouldn't even try to taste the formula. So don't go by that.
Breast milk forget it u can't compare it with anything.. this is how i feel. I hope this helped.. I just had a second girl 3 months old. She is enjoying both breast milk of course and the formula.
Barb G.

L.,
I just want to say that working and breast feeding is a very hard thing and I am full of support and encouragement for you. I work full time and nurse my 5 month old with pumping at work. I have found that no matter how good I am or how hard I try, even with being able to store my milk, sometimes I just can't pump enough at work and need to supplement. So I share in your formula dilemma. I think like others have said nothing with taste like breast-milk. It's like if you can't or won't drink cows milk, rice or soy milk are a good substitute but will never taste the same. Like others have said if your breast milk separates it does not mean it has gone bad. The cream always rises to the top. I run my bottles under warm water to warm the cream a bit and then shake it back together before I give it to my daughter. So this is an option for you if you choose it. If it really is going bad perhaps you want to take a look at how cold your fridge is because it should not go bad over just a couple days. Best of luck to you!

I also went to work my daughter was six months and had to start giving her formula. I started by mixing the formula with my breast milk. I found this made for a smooth transition.

L., I'm sorry but formulas dont' taste like breastmilk. Despite their claims that they are getting closer to breastmilk all the time, they're not. She'll either get used to the taste or she won't.
Why does your milk not "keep"? If it gets that metallic smell from the freezer, that's totally normal! There's no reason to assume that you'll need to feed her formula when you're at work if you are able to pump.
good luck

My kids switched to Carnation Good Start and seemed happy on it. I mixed it with breast milk at first. I know they have changed formulas since then, but you could give it a try. Good Luck!!

1 / 3