Suggestions for a Store-bought, Not-too-sweet Birthday Cake?

I'm having my 4-year-old's birthday party at an indoor play space and am planning to buy a cake. (I've always made her cakes in the past, but with a baby and 20+ people to feed, forget it.) Can anyone recommend where I can buy a cake without sickly sweet frosting as thick as the cake itself? The play space is costing us an arm and leg, so I'm looking for very affordable options. What about Shaw's or Stop and Shop? We're in the Belmont/Watertown area, and the party will be in Newton. Any advice is welcome!

have heard VERY good reviews of costco sheet cakes! there's even a website about all good things costco, but unfortunately out of the country for awhile and can only read about it!

You've gotten alot of great suggestions. Personally, I get my kids' birthday cakes from Stop & Shop. They have lots of options for themes & can customize if you don't see something you like in the book. We don't like sweet frosting either, so you'll probably love their WHIPPED CREAM frosting as much as my family does. They usually only need about 24 hours notice and sometimes can write the name while you wait if you choose one of the cakes already in the display case. Everyone is always pleasantly surprised when we tell them the cake is from Stop & Shop -- they usually think its from some fancy bakery because it tastes so fresh and delicious! Good luck!

Stop and shop make pretty good cakes, and have a lot of decorating options, and are not expensive. They have different frostings - the whipped cream is not overly sweet, but you need to be able to have the cake refrigerated until served (although with this weather, that could be in your car trunk!). Their butter cream is pretty sweet (I imagine they are all the same, but we go to the S&S in Natick).

HI S.- I've bought birthday cakes from the Stop and Shop on Pleasant Street in Watertown, and found them to be quite good. The frosting is too sweet for me, but it's not really thick. The cakes have been moist and tasty. Reasonably priced, too. There are lots of "theme" cakes for the kids to choose from, too. I'd recommend it. Hope it's a fun day!

I've really liked the Stop & Shop cakes with whipped frosting (it's much lighter and less sugary). The cakes themselves are always a really nice flavor and texture, too. I haven't tried anything from stores near your location, but I've been very pleased with cakes from several other Stop & Shops.

The cakes at Whole Foods, while more expensive, will not be sickly sweet and the amount of frosting is reasonable. Or you might try calling a good bakery in the WatertownBelmont/Newton area, like Vicki Lee's in Cushing Square (don't do Ohlins across the street--their stuff is diabetic-coma-inducingly sweet).
Best of luck.

Definitely BJ's or Costco (the wholesale clubs). They are very reasonably priced and delicious!

You will pay much more at Shaws or Stop and Shop and not as good either.

Happy Birthday to your little one!

bj's cakes are deliciious and won't break your wallet a sheet cake is just 19.99 and you can choose the decoration you want such as princess etc no extra cost. a 1/2 sheet is 14.99

1 / 3