Suggestions for a Good Breast Pump

I am 8 months pregnant with my 3rd baby and think that I want to breastfeed this time (i only bottle feed ny first 2)but I would really need to be able to pump for the most part. Any suggestions for a good breast pump that isn't too expensive?

Unfortunately good thing are not cheat and cheat thing are not good. look for a place that rent breast pumps. It's very frustration trying to pump with some equipment . Make the experience pleasent for you and the new bundle of joy. I used Medela and I was very happy.

Like others here I would recommend the Medela Pump in Style. While it is more expensive than other pumps, it is very efficient. And when you compare the cost to what you would spend on formula in a couple months, it easily pays for itself.

A.

I have a Medela Pump in Style that I have had for 9 years. I have tried other pumps, but this one is the best. Well worth the cost. It has been used for my four children, as well as three friends have used it (not recommended, but I know them well and they always bought their own tubing, breast shields, etc) for a total of 9 babies nursed with the aide of this pump. All that to say, it really is the best...I've tried cheaper versions and unless you are fond of pain and ridiculous amounts of time spent pumping, I wouldn't recommend them. Some insurances will pay for a breast pump if you get a lactation consultant in the hospital to write you a script for one. All it takes is engorgement, sore nipples, or a baby with a problems latching to get the script...maybe not even that. So check into whether or not your insurance would cover all or part of it. Congrats on your third baby!!

mother to 4, step mom to 1, with one more on the way in March

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy and on your desire to breast feed this time around. Breastfeeding is absolutely wonderful for so many reasons!!! Unfortunately, I think the best pumps are a bit expensive. I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced (my lactation consultant recommended the Ameda Purely Yours and the Avent Isis as the other two high-quality pumps she would recommend). The Medela cost me close to $300 but I pumped 2-3 times a day at work for nearly 18 months. It was, by far, the best "baby" purchase I made!! There are cheaper pumps out there, but this is truly one of those cases where you get what you pay for. The cheaper pumps just don't have the suction and staying power necessary to maintain your supply. Case in point, one of my colleagues was pumping at the same time as I was with a very cheap pump-she always struggled with supply. A good quality pump will more than pay for itself. Imagine all the money you'll save on formula! I think $300 dollars wouldn't even pay for 10 cans of the stuff-and your baby will need a lot more than that during the first year.

I have used the Avent Isis with all three of my children. I've tried Medela and the hospital ones and they are VERY uncomfortable in my opinion, especially in comparison to the Isis - and it isn't expensive in comparison.

Trust me, if you want a good breast pump, you have to invest the money. I never regret buying the Medela Pump In Style Advanced breastpump! I breastfed exclusively for 3mths, then started back working and pumped for 9 more months until he hit a year. I would not have been able to do it without this pump. Whatever you decide though, get a double pump, works a lot quicker and it's more productive.

I use the Ameda Purely Yours breastpump and love it. The milk doesn't run through the machine or piping so, it is more hygenic than the Medela. It is also a bit cheaper.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I breastfed my 2nd baby after having formula fed my first. Breastfeeding was way more convenient in the end.
If you think that you will be pumping frequently, you really need to invest in a good quality pump. This is the item I would suggest splurging on. A Medela Pump In Style is what most women who pump and work fulltime use. Avent also makes a good dual electric pump which is comparable
If you are talking about primarily pumping for convenience, it is a lot of work and it is easier to just put the baby to the breast. It is not convenient to pump instead of nursing.

I tried them all and ended up getting the Avent which I love and now give it as gifts at baby showers, etc. My future daughter-in-law told me she wants one when she her and my son have their first child, which if I get my way will not be until they both finish college. Anyway the Avent it comfortable to use, easy to use, and portable. I also found that I was able to pump much more milk out. The nurses at the hospital, my obstetrician and pediatricians offices now recommend it because of me. I got mine at Target or Wal-Mart and found it to be reasonably priced.
Hugs,

A.

1 / 3