Sudden Severe Back Pain

This morning I knelt down to pick something up and was struck with SEVERE low back pain. I couldn't move at all. I yelled out in pain and luckily my husband was still home so he helped me to the bed. I broke out in a sweat and felt very sick to my stomach. I can't walk, sit, lay down, or hardly move at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get over this ASAP? I have a 12 month old and he doesn't understand why Momma won't pick him up. I've never felt pain like this, not even natural childbirth. OK maybe childbirth was worse, but not by much!

Thank you all SO much for all the wonderful advice. I did go to a chiropractor for a little therapy. But mostly I have been trying to take it easy around the house and rest as much as possible. My husband has been an exceptional Mr. Mom the past few days. I found that ice really helped a lot with calming the pain for a little while. I'm breastfeeding so I don't want to take much medication. I'm still in significant pain especially with going from sitting to standing, but it is getting a little better every day. Thank you all for you words of encouragement!!

This is EXACTLY what happened to my husband, word for word, last month. It was a slipped disk. With a chiropractor visit every day, muscle relaxers and pain meds,he was able to at least move around better in about 4 days, but he was off work (he's a paramedic so lots of lifting) for almost a month. Get to a chiro and a Doctor (for Rx) ASAP, and I hope you feel better soon!!

I had the same experience with back pain. Luckily we had a hot tub and that was the quickest way. I had a friend come pick up my son for a week while I had pain pills. The doctor said it was from picking up my son and placing him in the carseat.. we only had a 2 door truck so I was twisting constantly. Also carrying the car seat with my child in it. Good luck and hopefully you can get a friend to help you. It takes about 2 weeks. I've had 2 episodes in 20 years so you might not experience this again. Yes it was worse than childbirth... I cried in the car all the way to the ER.

Aqua~Fit is a warm 88 degree salt water indoor pool that would be great for you to get in and do some water walking, stretching and range of motion movement.
Do you know how you hurt your back? Try to think of all the possibilities. I hurt my back from lifting my youngest of three big babies too much.
Call M. at Aqua~Fit ###-###-#### or visit their website at aquafitplano.com

DC, I have been there! I even told my husband I would rather have a baby than experience that pain! Get ice on there as much as you can for the first 24 hours. Then you can switch to heat. Keep your back as straight as possible. When in bed lie on your back flat with your knees raised. Just put a couple of pillows under your knees. Some people are more comfortable on their stomach. When you get up, don't sit up in bed. Roll to your side and lift yourself with your hands by pushing on the bed, while swinging your legs over the bed to the floor. Don't bend and don't pick up anything on the floor. When going to the bathroom don't lean forward while sitting on the toilet. Sit straight facing the tank so that you have the tank for support.

Call a doctor and get some muscle relaxants, and take advil. Do ALL this and don't panic. This too shall pass...........but in the meantime you will need help with the baby.

I am so sorry. I know that pain very well. I have thrown out my back tons a times and usually happens when I least expect it. Ice is the best thing you can do. You can get some Aleve to help with the pain. Just take it as easy as you can. I know thats hard with a little one around. I had my girls help me with things like picking things up and then we relaxed and watched movies. My best friend is a pilates instructor and one of the best things I have done is to do things to strengthen my back muscles so that it doesn't happen anymore. I haven't had the problem except maybe once in the last year opposed to 3 or 4 times a year.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Sounds like your sacroiliac joint is out of place. You will feel pain until you get it put back in place. This is done best by a chiropractor, but doctors can do it as well. Do not let it linger this way until tomorrow. It will get more and more difficult to stop the pain.

I did this to myself at work one day, picking up a piece of paper off the floor. It has nothing to do with the weight of the object, simply the manner in which you bent over. Hurry to a chiro or walk-in clinic! It is an emergency!

Sounds like a disc. I had one bulging and one herniated in my lower back, and felt the same thing. See your doctor ASAP. Muscle relaxers break the spasm that's causing half your pain. In the mean time, alternate ice and heat, take some form of ibuprofen (advil or other), soak in the tub with baking soda and epsom salts if you can get in there. Someone else has to take care of the baby. Ice is a mechanical anti-inflamatory. Advil is a chemical anti-inflamatory. Your doctor will probably order an MRI and pysical therapy to start with. A chiropractor can help once the herniation is clearly identified. Manipulating the spine when they don't know exactly where the disc is herniated can make it worse. A good chiropractor would tell you that and be extremely wary of adjusting you right now. Long term, a chiropractor is a fantastic thing, as is pilates. Strengthening your core is essential to protecting your back. My physical therapist told me not to bend over...ever again! Not practical, but good to try. Go down on one knee with a straight back if you have to get to the floor, unload the dishes, reach in the dryer, etc. I moved the changing table for my 3rd child onto a coffee table so I could change diapers while on my knees with a straight back. I had that baby after my disc was herniated.

Sorry you're suffering. It's awful.
SAHM of 3

You didn't mention where the pain was- was it in your spine or to the side, in the muscle. I'd agree with everyone that you probably slipped a disc, if the pain is in your spine. If it's in the muscle, it's probably a pulled muscle. I've pulled a muscle (same one a couple times I think it weakens that muscle forever, unfortunately) and been completely stuck and couldn't move. My husband had to practically pick me up and put me on the couch. I then took either muscle relaxants or vicodin or the like. That's all that worked for it, because the pain was so bad. I've never slipped a disc. Maybe you can't figure out where the pain is, exactly because it's in a large section. I would definitely see a chiropractor or doc. In the mean time, find some good meds. If you don't want to do (or can't find) Vicodin or other narcotic, then I'd say go for 800 mgs of Ibuprofen- won't make you sleepy like narcotics mights.

1 / 3