Sudden Hair Loss in 3 Year Old -- HELP!!!!

Hi Moms,

Two nites ago I was brushing my 3 year old daughter's hair and noticed a nice sized bald patch at the nape of her neck. Her hair has always been extremely dry and coarse. I took her to the pediatrician just b/c it was so sudden and he doesn't think it's a condition to be concerned about. She has eczema at the back of her neck, which could be the culprit and wears braids often, which could also be contributing. Any home or store bought remedies that helped restore hair growth in your little one(s)? I was mortified to find hair balls in the back seat of our minivan (where she sits), in her bedroom and in the bathroom. I can't imagine she's pulling her hair straight from the scalp (ouch!) so I think it's dry, brittle and weak and already shedding. I'm hoping it's just this one spot. Thus far, I haven't seen any other patches. She is an otherwise healthy, African American girl with brownish/blond hair. Her diet is full of water (we even dilute juice w/ water) and she eats well (veggies too).
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good holiday

Hello F.,

I am sorry to hear that. Your little girl could be breaking out from the lotions or oils you are using. My little cousin-in-law has really bad eczema, and she breaks out when ever my cousin-in-law use pink lotion or any other oils on the market. When my little cuz-in-law breaks out her hair comes out because she is always scratching it. Her mother made her own oils and has been working. I can find out what she is using and email it to you if you would like. Just email me and I will find out! Take care!

Sorry to hear this. My daughter also experienced this. She also had a history of eczema, so the pediatrician initially said that it was seborrhea dermatitis. After a couple of months of treatment, there was no improvement. Her hair kept thinning. I was then referred to a dermatologist who also said that it was seborrhea dematitis. So a few months later with still no improvement, I asked to be referred to an African-American dermatologist. Her diagnois was ringworm. I was distraught, because she went about 6 months of this with her hair constantly thinning. It did not look like typical ringworm, but after 6 months of treatment on oral medication, her hair grew back, and it is thick as ever now. So, if her hair continues to thin, I would ask to be referred to a dermatologist.

my african american daughter actually had a few hair issues (I am caucasion and not familiar so some is my inability too) anyway we had ringworm from a foster child that my daughter got so she lost her hair then in clumps - finally it came back and she developed a twisting habit and she would twist it out and break it off in clumps when she was nervous or asleep - now she is 7 and we are just dealing with dry hair so I extra condidiotn and put lots of procuct in and have her sleep with a satin cap - I too try to keep it in braids but am new to the area and dont know anyone and am a bit afraid to ask cause I am white and she is black and here in this area I don tthink this is accepted like where I came from so I try to braid my self which isnt super great but it keeps her hair intact! The rubber bands I was using broke her hair too even if I put product on them before I put them in her hair - I do put oil in when her hair is in braids and I give a few days between braidings to let her hair rest :)

I think it would be helpful to look at the info. from the Weston A. Price Foundation- I have found their nutritional info. to be very helpful. You may just need to give her cod liver oil daily and increase the good fats- google the website. Good Luck!

L. M.

1 / 3