Stuttering - Oak Lawn, IL

My 2 1/2 year old began stuttering about 2 months ago. It has gotten really bad lately. Has anyone experienced this? Is this just a phase?

I am a Pediatric Speech-Langauge Pathologist and I have treated several children for stuttering. However, many times stutterin is considered normal in children it all depends on the type of stuttering they are doing, how long each "stutter" is lasting and the length of time they have been doing it. The best thing to do is meet with a Speech-Langauge Pathologist and have them run a full evaluation to assess thier stuttering. Sometimes the children will grow out of it and some times a little bit of thearpy is needed to help get over the difficulties they are having. The earlier the better in my opinion.

K. O.

My son started stuttering at aound 3 yo and I was so worried. I took him to the doctor and nothing was wrong.
He did this on and off for about a year. He is a very bright child and I think sometimes what he was thinking did not come out as fast in words. My son is now 6 yo and in Kindergarten and he is just find. He reads at a 2nd grade level and does math at a 1st grade level. So as long as there is nothing wrong medically, he will outgrow it.

public education (speech and special services) start at the age of 3 and ends at 21. if it is still going on at 3 i would contact your local school. testing is free. i really wouldnt worry yourself about it now though, stuttering can be a normal phase of speech up to the age of 5!

I don't have time to look at the responses first, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what others have said.

I read somewhere that many kids go through a point where their brains are moving just a little quicker than their language development can keep up with. Most kids who start to stutter at a young age are just going through this phase and it will pass, as their minds and bodies get in synch.

My son has always been very articulate too, and went through a brief period where I noticed he was stuttering a little bit and there were hangs, mid-sentence, where he would seem unable to find the word he needed to continue. It was all I could do to keep from finishing his sentences for him, and felt frustrating. We made it through though. I don't remember how long it took, but he's almost six and has been speaking wonderfully again for quite a while. Another sign of it was repeating a word over and over until he could move on to the next word. My daughter did more of that one. She's three now and also speaking just fine.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists. Keeping your patience while you wait for him to finish his sentences will likely be the hardest part. I've heard it's better just to be patient and wait for them to finish as if nothing happened - they aren't really aware of it and bringing attention to it can have negative effects. If they do notice it, and get frustrated, then just encourage them to work through it.

My daughter who is also just 2 1/2 now was stuttering 2-3 months ago. I thought back then it might be because of a certain Bear in the Big Blue HOuse episode that did alot of word repeating, or certain songs on the radio. She only did it for a couple of weeks and we'd stop her everytime she'd start. Now she only does it a few times here and there. I think it's something they just grow out of...or at least I'm hoping so! :)

something that my mother always told me about when my sister was young and started to stutter...the doctor told them to literally get down on the floor and crawl with her. something about the way the body and mind work together. it is worth a try. it helped my sister.

A.
has anything changed in your child's life during that time? New sibling, grandparent move in or out, move to a different house, any kind of fall or hard hit to the head,anything that would cause him to seek attention? If it persists throughout the summer go to your local school and find out when the preschool/speech screening is and have him screened. They will let you know if he can get services through the school even though he is not kindergarten age. Good Luck!

Both my girls went through phases like this...it will most likely pass

hi i am the mother of 3 smal kids 5, 3, and 2. when my 2 year old was born my 3 1/2 year old started to stutter really bad. i was really freaked out because he was pretty articulate.my husbands aunt who is a pre-school teacher and works w/ special need kids came over to check it out. she said it was most likely a phase and to spend a little more time w/ him one on one. as a mother of 3 i feel that im constantly rushing around. she said to stop doing that. if im late im late. but no point to stressing the kids out buy rushing and making them have stress. so i did and he eventually stoppped.

1 / 3