Stuffy Nose Every Night?

For the past week or so my son (who is almost 1 year) has been so stuffed up at night. I just recently took him to an allergist doctor, who helped us figure out that he is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, fish, and peanuts. I am still nursing him three times a day and have not really eaten any diary product since he was three months because of him getting so stuffed up back then. It helped him a lot for me to do this, but I did not know he was allergic to the other foods. The doctor said though that it should not matter what I eat, it shouldn't effected him too much. So I have not cut out the other foods. But I didn't know if he was getting stuffed up now because of the change in seasons and the ragweed out right now. It has been getting so frustrating at night because he has such a hard time breathing through his nose. Do you have any suggestions? Anybody else go through this? Thanks in advance!

Hi A. - My son who is 14 months has very similar problems. He is also allergic to Eggs, Wheat, Peanut and mildly to Soy and Corn (Soy and Corn causes him to break out in a rash if he eats too much). He's also asthmatic. I was never able to really breast feed full time so he's pretty much a formula baby and I really think he has seasonal allergies. Especially right now because he's stuffed more now than ever. My allergy doctor has my son on Zyterk and Singular. The Singular seems to be helping more now but also using a saline mist spray at night also seems to help a little - it'll make his nose run a bit but at least it keeps his nose moist vs it drying out and he seems to breath a little better. I do warn you that my son hates this but if you get a fine "baby mist" it appears to be better and more gentle. I hope this helps and good luck.

I think a cool-mist vaporazor would help.

But what REALLY worked well for us last winter was an essential oil diffuser. We have a very simple ceramic diffuser that we got at a local health food store and used Olbas oil (http://olbas.com/olbasoil.htm). It was amazing how well it worked!!!

My son had the same problem about the same age for a while, we just got a humidifier and it cleared it right up.

I don't about the air quality in the area of VA that you are in, but I am in VA also and for the first time in my life have had to take 3 allergy pills a day for over a week now. I normally do not even need to take allergy meds this time of year. My doc said it is due to the lack of rain we have had in this are that the pollen count is through the roof. I would try to give him some benedryl if your pediatrician approves.

My first daughter had/had this and hers just started up this week too. her whole face is swollen and her voice is scratchy.
I think he is allergic environmentally too.

You may ask the allergist or pediatrician if you can give him anything like benedryl yet.

We used a humidifier in her room, raised her pillow to relieve the coughing.

or you might have to use the saline spray in his nose and a little ball aspirator to remove the mucous from his nose after the saline spray. If you do it thoroughly you can give him relief for quite a few hours, though they HATE it.

My daughter (currently 18 months) had problems sleeping because of her stuffy nose too but this is what helped us:
1. Warm bath.
2. Infant Saline Spray/Mist and suction gently.
3. Humidifier.
4. Elevated head. (I put a pillow under her bed sheet.)

Yes, we did that every night when she was younger. But she's better now and she knows how to blow her nose, so I just help her wipe up after a warm bath.
A year ago, my doctor was recommending a restricted diet to see if my daughter was having problems because of what I ate, but recently, he is saying the same thing as your doctor because of some new research that said that what a breastfeeding mother eats does not make a big enough impact when it comes to allergies.
Personally, I did notice reactions to nuts, soy, dairy and spicy foods (that I ate) when my daughter was younger but recently, I could eat anything and she's not affected.

I also suffer from allergies. If your child is only allergic to foods, he is lucky. If he doesn't eat the allergens he will be fine. But if he is allergic to airborne stuff, Lord have mercy. An allergy doctor told me if I can stay away from my allergens at night, my body will be stronger to fight in the day. I was very allergic to house dust. I had to sleep in an uncarpeted bedroom and wear a mask when I vaccumed the house (due to the dust mites in the carpet). Now I am much stronger. After a few years I am able to sleep in a carpeted bedroom again. Did your doctor test for airborns? Give your child some time. If he is not bombarded by the food allergens, he may get stronger to tolerate other things. Time heals some things. AF

Please heed the other humidifier advice -- get a good-quality one, like the Holmes brand or another reliable, sturdy one that you can clean easily. They cost more but are worth it. I use them frequently for my daughter. You will also have to learn to clean it well (and ensure it doesn't get musty) but again, worth it all. A good humidifier is something you will use for years--for allergies, colds, plain old dry air. One piece of advice: Get a "cool mist" one, not a warm mist one. The latter make the room warm and steamy-feeling and if a kid has a fever that is not what you want. Cool mist doesn't feel "cold" but is better for the kid and the room. Good luck!

My daughter and I have both been terribly stuffed up at night for the last week or two. I wouldn't be too concerned.

My recommendations a infant saline nose spray (and the nose suctioner, if required) and a humidifier. Also, warm baths help decongest.

Fall allergy season will pass.

1 / 3