Stuffed up Every Night

My three year old has had his adnoids removed and tubes in his ears. We matter of fact just went to the ENT for a checkup not so long ago. At that time I told him that my son has a lot of trouble getting good sleep. He is restless and sounds stuffed up every night. I hear him breathing which you are not suppose to be able to do! I have tried, vaporizers, humidity, saline drops, allergy meds, some help for a brief period but not all night. Last night I put him in bed with me and it was awful, he hates breathing through is mouth but that is all he could do. I got up three times to do saline to help, it did but not for long. The ENT said he had large tonsils but wasn't concerned with needing to remove them yet, he said he doesn't have allergy type symptoms. Neither of my kids have allergies and none of the allergy meds did anything anyway. He seems dry, but stuffed up. I know the dry air here is a killer on noses, I have tried steamy bathroom, humidifiers all of that and it isn't helping.
The ENT said he would recheck him or call him if it got worse. My concern is I can tell even though he is in bed 11 hours and seems to be sleeping he isn't sleeping peacefully. During the day he breathes through his nose a lot better too. I have cleaned all the dust out of his room, put a allergy pillow there in his room, kept the pets out just in case and it isn't helping at night! Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you all for all the tips and advice. IT WAS NOT MILK Allergy, it was not due to his vaccinations (got into a huge debate on that one with someone), it was not anything I could pinpoint. HOWEVER, that said, I continued the saline drops but used them throughout the day like every three hours, I propped his bed up by his pillow area and he seems fine now. The first few nights I also did the Vicks Vapor Rub on his chest too. My daughter had seasonal allergies when she was younger and when I called the Dr again about it he felt to make sure if he played outside to give him a shower or bath before bedtime, this may have or may not have helped. On Sunday he had to go to a friends house to play while my daughter and I did something else and the mom said he sneezed like fifteen times or more in a row, then it was done. Don't ask me what happened, if indeed he just had this mystery virus or he indeed just needed the relief too during the day with the saline and got it all out. He has slept great the past three nights in a row, with mouth closed. When I take him in for his next ear tube check up the ENT said he would revisit the idea of removing his tonsils but at this point since there was no obvious signs of infection that tonsils that are just large he may grow into them. I have to say I think the propping of his bed was the big one to help him at night. Thank you all for all the tips and advice. I am relieved I did not have to take him off of milk as I am very pro dairy especially for kids that need it for healthy bones and teeth. I am very thankful it wasn't something major and hopefully it will just be something we won't have to deal with again unless he is truly sick.

Prop him up a little. Depending on the type of bed you are using, If it is a toddler bed you can put a pillow under the mattress and then give him a pillow also. Make it real gradual. A twin size bed you can just slip it under the fitted sheet to keep it in place. My kids are movers when it comes to sleeping, to the point of trading places when they sleep (the share a double bed), But the stay less stuffy when I can get them on a slight incline. If it is to steep though they end up at the bottom of the bed.

Have you tried petroleum jelly? Just a little dab on the end of a Q-tip and rub it just inside his nose. The heat of the nose will melt the jelly and provide a sort of protective barrier inside his nose. Should help with dryness and prevent some nose bleeds if they ever happen.

D.,
Food Allergy? I know when I eat certain foods I get really congested. Dairy is a big one and wheat also can cause problems as well as corn.

Allergy meds don't always help. Try eliminating certain foods out of his diet and see if that helps.
C. B

Hi D.--

I agree with the chiropractor suggestion. I also think you might want to have him checked for yeast. Yeast can get into the nasal passages and lungs and cause these type of symptoms. I have a great chiropractor/bio-energetic practitioner off of I-25 and Colorado blvd you can test your son for allergies, yeast, adjust, and anything else you can think of. He has a non-invasive diagnostic technique called electral dermal screening (EDS) that can give you some solid answers. I believe this man saved my son's health when he was a baby due to severe allergies. I highly recommend you take him to see him. Let me know if you would like his information.

My 3 year old daughter was just going through this same scenario. I thought it was her adnoids because her pediatrician told me that her tonsils were big but not big enough to be removed. When I took her to the ENT he said to take out her tonsils too. I was a little paranoid if I was making the right choice and not just doing it to do it, but since her surgery she sleeps soundly and quietly!
I was so glad that we did this!!!
(We also had her tested for allergies during her surgery just to see if any of her breathing issues were due to allergies--we went through the whole nasal sprays-- allergy stuff too prior to the surgery--and she came out negative for any allergies at all. I am telling you it was the tonsils!)
Good Luck--and just look around for a doctor who will do it if yours won't.

my 5 year old daugher is the same way. What we have done is put her on flonase- it has changed her life. We also put her comforter in an allergen free bag and took her stuffed animals off her bed. She is now breathing much better at night- still snores but is doing better.

Good Luck and I highly recommend Flonase if you have not tried it- you will need a script from your doctor.

I have 5 children ranging from ages 6 to 27. 3 of my children have had tonsils and adenoids removed for numerous reasons. What a difference it has made for all 3 including rarely getting sick. This morning I went on line because my 6 y.o. who HAS NOT had anything removed but had tubes placed in both her ears at the age of 5 months, has been chronically stuffed up for almost a year. We are both soooo frustrated. She cries and goes thru at least 2 boxes of kleenexes a day trying to clear out her head. Now I'm beginning to think you have something here. Her tonsils are extremely large and I'll bet her adenoids are too. I will definitely be contacting her Pediatrician on Monday to be referred to our ENT Dooctor. Good luck, but please do not be afraid of surgery, it is extremely common and what a difference it will make for your child whom will be much more comfortable. At this moment I am listening to my 6 y.o. daughter cry because she cannot breath and I feel so helpless. It is not fair for her to be so miserable. Take Care! J.

Hi D.,
What kind of pillow does he have.
It could be that he has an allergy to his pillow, to the laundry soap you use, to the type of fabric in his sheets and pillow case, or the blanket on his bed.
The first thing I would do is wash his bedding every day and see if that helps.
I would try a different laundry soap.
My youngest son had that at among other things, and when he was small I had to give him what the call a "clean room".
Every single day until he was 8 years old, I have to wash his walls, his curtains his bedding and put a plastic cover on his mattress and pillows.
But I would try just washing the bedding and sheets and pillow cases in a different laundry soap for a few days and see if that helps.
And they do make breathing strips for the nose at night.
Good luck honey.

D.,

That would be so frustrating. I know you Doctor said that the symptoms didn't look like allergies, but you have to wonder. Is the Doctor you talked to an allergist(specialist) or just a regular Doctor? I have a son with many allergies and the pediatrician kept wanting to give creams and medications, When we finally got to the allergist we got so many answers concerning his allergies. If you have good insurance that would be beneficial. Allergy testing can be expensive, but it is so worth it to improve the quality of your childs life. I wouldn't rule out allergies until you know for sure. Good luck! It is so hard to watch the people you love suffer.

K. P.

Get him off all dairy

1 / 3