Stuffed Animals - Richardson,TX

I am looking for a place to donate new and gently used stuffed animals. I have checked with local fire departments and they do take some but I want to get rid of them all at once. Any suggetions other that Good Will type spots?

L. B.

What about a children's hospital or Ronald McDonald house? My wife works at Children's Medical Center downtown and the department you would inquire with is Child Life (or ask for a child life specialist; they are in charge of the play rooms). Children's has a new hospital in Plano, too.

Stuffed animals are rather tricky to get rid of because they hold germs. That is why most places, including children's hospitals, do not accept them. You may see if there is a woman's shelter in your area that would like them.

Some police stations and social work organizations also take them for when they respond to calls where children will be separated from their parents for a while. From what I understand, they are always looking for more.

You might check with police department and department of children and family services.

Also check with local animal shelters.

Local animal shelters LOVE them! :)

Have you tried a disability facility or nursing homes we had a garage last year and alot of workers were looking for these stuffed animals for BINGO type games.Now I know where to go next time.Got rid of all mine

I donate mine to a wonderful nonprofit organization based in Plano called Adam's Animals. It was started by a friend of mine who lost her son, Adam Hurst, to cancer. It has grown into quite an operation. She accepts donated stuffed animals and then distributes them to children in the hospital. Last year, she delivered more than 6,000 stuffed animals. You can check out the website at adamsanimals.org.

I think my first response to you didn't post - so here it is again :)
You can donate them to SAFE (Stuffed Animals for Emergencies) there is local rep:
Janis Bowen
McKinney, TX 75071

Accepted items: Gently used stuffed animals, new stuffed animals, new or gently used children's books, new or gently used baby/children's blankets.
Comments: I collect for Allen, Plano, Frisco, Lewisville, Princeton, Melissa, Sherman and the surrounding areas. I do not make pick-ups so you will need to drop off or pick up from my location. Thank you!

Locally, you can also try Animal Shelters and rescue centers, in addition to Captian Hope's Kids at www.captianhope.org

You can try to "freecycle" them
http://www.freecycle.org/

or put an ad on Craigslist.

I am not sure if you have a nonprofit thrift store like St. Vincent de Paul that accepts donations? You could check with them.

By the way, I wash stuffed animals I get second-hand in the washing machine and let them dry. They all turn out just fine with no problems (even the ones that say surface clean only).

Our chrch recently donated some to the police department for the officers to keep some in their cars to use with chidren in sensitive situations as they arise. We are currently collecting books and beanie babies for the USO Reading Room at the airport. When service men or women are about to be deployed they can go to this room and pick a book and animal and read aloud the bookand it is recorded and then the book, recording and stuffed animal are sent to their child they are having to leave behind.

You could try Frisco Family Services in Frisco. Their a Good Will type of place.