Strep Throat Will Not Go Away!

Hi Mom's , hoping somone has some useful information/advice they can share with me?

I got strep throat back in November 2010 , I took a 10 day course of antibiotics & 2 days after the course ended the strep came back. I then took another 10 day course and when they finished the same happened again , I was then given 20 days and yes when those ended the strep returned , so I was then referred to a ENT who advised to have my tonsils taken out. They were removed January 21st and up until last weekend I was fine , I started with a sore throat and by Friday it was really red & sore , so I went to the Dr and the strep test was positive. He gave me a 10 day course and so far 3 days in my throat is no better , still very sore and has red & white puffy lumps , I asked him what happens next if it does not go away and he said more antibiotics!....well I am at the point where I do not want anymore as they clearly do not work for me , have done some research on the internet but not really finding much.

Anyone else been through this? What happens when it just won't go away with antibiotics and tonsil removal? No-one else in my home has had it and I am clueless as to who I came into contact with originally to get it. The Dr mentioned that I could be a carrier and I am giving it to myself....well that sounds funny but what if that is the case? How will I ever get better? My kids are going to the Dr tomorrow to be tested to see if any of them are carriers displaying no symptoms , but I am just so fed up of this now , it's been 3 months and I am still sick!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I wanted to update as I have now taken my kids to the ped , and it turns out that 2 out of 3 of them are positive for strep but with no symptoms , they are now on antibiotics , so fingers crossed I can finally be free of this!

Thanks for all the responses

I just wanted to add that we have no pets , my family are being tested tomorrow , and the reason my tonsils were removed was because they were huge and I have always had throat problem , but when I was younger (and in England) a Dr never said to have my tonsils out , and up until now if I did have throat infections or ear infections etc antibiotics worked. As for adenoids , the ENT checked for those when I was under and I don't have any.

You don't mention what type of antibiotics you are being given. Typically they start with one of the weaker ones, then move on to another type until they find the one that works for you. Given that these infections follow one right after another, they should not be giving you the same antibiotic over and over. If they are, insist that the doctors not give you the same one over and over, but move up to a stronger one to knock it out. You may have a resistant strain that will only get stronger as it fights the weaker drugs. Don't give up!!

When they have swabbed it have they ever tested to see what anitbiotics it is resistant to? It might be a MRSA kind of infection and so you may need a different antibiotic to get rid of it once and for all.

I couldn't tell from you post if they keep giving you the same anitbiotic over and over or switching it up. I believe you typically need a Bactrim or Septra to clear up a MRSA infection.

First of all I don't see how taking out your tonsils will help for Strep. Second, antibiotics will totally screw up your immune system. You have been on them a long time so watch out for digestive issues and vaginal infections. Try chamomile tea it removes toxins from your body, makes you pee and sweat a lot!!. I make it in a 12 cup drip coffee maker, put the tea bags in the glass pot, let water drip in and steep for at least 3-5 minutes. Drink all of it in one day. If you don't like the taste, use one tea bag of chamomile and one tea bag of mint, you can add surgar, but I believe infections feed on sugar so use caution. You should feel better the next day but it may take 2-3 days of tea to get it totally out of your system.

Do you have a dog? They can be carriers, too.

Dang, sounds like you are resistant to antibiotics. That's why it's so important not to use them unless you really have to.
Maybe you would do well with some homeopathic strategies? Hit your local health food store and ask a clerk to help you out.

You cold be a carrier. Did you ever have a negative strep test? If so then you probably are not.

You should start taking probiotics to safeguard your stomach from all the antibiotics.

You are not resistant to antibiotics - the strep is.
Unfortunately, more people are going to find out how tough your position is.
As long as antibiotics are used in meat, poultry and fish industries/feed, a microbe doesn't care if it's strengthened on a cow or a chicken or a person and this sort of thing is going to get worse.
If you have pets, take them to the vet and have them tested, too. They can be carriers and reinfect their owners.
Sometimes the tonsils get so infected they become the source to re-infect you. Having them out (and adenoids) might help.
Natural healing is extremely hit and miss. What works for one does not with another.

How frustrating! Having my tonsils out is finally what worked for me. The only thing I can think of is going to a Holistic doctor and/or nutritionist to see if diet can help. I'd also definitely start taking a good probiotic since you've been on so many antibiotics. It may sound weird but a chiropractor may be able to help. I know that people go to them for ear infections and other problems that you wouldn't think are associated with the spine. Best of luck-my thoughts are with you.

when my son had it three times back to back I finally asked if they could just give him a shot and that finally did the trick. Good luck!

1 / 3