Strep Throat but Throat Doesn't Hurt?

My 4 year old daughter woke up yesterday morning with a 103.4 fever and said her head hurt all over. She never once said her throat hurt. I had to work so my mother took her to the Dr. and they did a strep test which came back positive. He didn't look at her throat at all. He also didn't do a flu swab which concerned me. Her fever got as high as 104 last night. She didn't move or eat all day yesterday and threw up two times. She STILL says her throat doesn't hurt. Could it have been something else or is it possible to have strep throat and your throat not even hurt?

OK everyone, thank you all for your responses! I always remember strep throat hurting sooooooo bad, BUT, I guess it's changed over the years! She's been on the meds since Friday and is feeling 100% better! Now I'm just praying that my 18 month old doesn't get it!

Yes.
She is sick, and the doctor missed something
I cannot belive he didn't even look- find someone else who does their job.
best,k

Ever since I taught I get seem to pick up strep throat every 3 or 4 months. I never have a sore throat...always fever with fatigue and faintness. It affects everyone different. Try to remember her symptoms...so that if she feels this way again they can test her and quickly get her on the meds so that you don't infect the rest of the household.

Strep can be anywhere in your body and most everywhere else it doesn't create pain. The pain itself comes from the inflammation of the tonsils not the bacteria. So yes, you can have strep throat without pain. If your 4 year old can gargle on command, I would recommend a tea tree oil solution to absorb deep into the tissue. If she accidentally swallows it it's no big deal as that's where the name comes from. It is used to make tea.

I use a high grade oil for many things and wouldn't be without it in my home. Be grateful she still has her tonsils. The tonsils actually keep the strep from reaching the heart!

God bless!

Yes.
best,k

Yes definately As a child I had strep throat and because my throat didnt hurt no-body caught it until I passed out into a COMA with Rheumatic Fever a dangerous heart infection.

i think its time for a second drs opinion especially if the fever was that high. also i have a 15 year old grand daughter that my daughter took her to the emergency room and they said strep with no tests of any kind, well 3 days later she wasnt any better, deb took her to TGH emergency room they ran all kinds of tests and it was mono and she had contacted it from the schools water fountains. good luck AND GOD BLESS US ALL J.

oh yes absolutely. that is the worse. i have had my daughter almost end in hospital because it was a strep throat that only caused high fever (highest it got was 105.5). the ped. would look in her throat not notice anything not do the swab and send us home with 'it's just a viral infection'. i ended up in emergency room with her high fever as motrin rotating with tylenol was not working anymore. it was there they told us she had strep.
so to answer you absolutely. good thing he detected it.

Strep can be anywhere in the body. Many times it shows up in the throat.....but it doesn't have to. Anti-biotics will clear it up, just make sure she takes all of it even when she starts to feel better. If you don't see a major improvement in 2-3 days of being on the antibiotic, go back to the doctor. Strep, left untreated,can damage organs.

That's how my son reacts with strep - doesn't complain at ALL about his throat, but has fever & headache. Also, all strep doesn't "look" the same - drs may look at the throat & say "doesn't look like strep", but when insistent about swabbing for it, "huh, how about that?"... Good luck with your little guy - hope he feels better quickly!

Strep Throat is a Virus. Strep throat itself is not a threat. It is the other problems that it causes that are life threatening if it's not treated correctly. Also you can have strep without having your throat hurt. My daughter is getting ready to go into med school and has learned this in college. Also, she said to get her to the hospital now if her fever is that high. She can die from her temperture being so high. Your daughter is very sick and needs medical attention now.

1 / 3